Moroccan Bean Soup
with leftover meatballs / yogurt
This hearty Moroccan soup will keep you warm and full, with sweet roasted peppers and alluring North African spices. This meal was featured last year and it received great reviews; this year we added leftover Moroccan meatballs to the soup.
- Coriander, ground - 1 tsp
- Paprika, smoked - 1 tsp
- Cumin - 1/2 tsp
- Ginger, ground - 1/2 tsp
- Cinnamon - 1/4 tsp
- Carrots - 8 oz, chopped
- Shallots - 2 cloves, chopped
- Garlic - 2 cloves, chopped
- Bell peppers, fire-roasted - 3/4 cup, chopped (from a jar of roasted peppers)
- Moroccan Meatballs (leftover from Monday) - 12, halved
- Parsley - 2 Tbsp, chopped
- Beans, garbanzo (14 oz / 387 g) - 1 can, drained and rinsed
- Beans, Navy (14 oz / 387 g) - 1 can, drained and rinsed
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Tomato paste - 2 Tbsp
- Vinegar, sherry - 2 Tbsp
- Stock, any type - 4 cups
- Lemon juice - 1 tsp
- Hot sauce (opt) - to taste
- Yogurt, plain or Greek - 1/4 cup
- Carrots / Shallots / Garlic / Bell peppers - Prep as directed. Combine carrots and shallots in one container. Combine garlic and bell peppers in another container. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make spice mix - (Skip if spice mix was made ahead for Monday.) Combine coriander, smoked paprika, cumin, ginger, and cinnamon. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Meatballs / Parsley - Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
- Beans (both types) - Drain and rinse.
- Heat a Dutch oven with oil over medium-high heat. Add carrots and shallots and saute for 2 minutes.
- Add tomato paste, garlic, bell peppers, and spice mix and saute until fragrant, ~2 minutes more.
- Add sherry vinegar and scrape the bottom of the pan to free up any browned bits.
- Pour stock over aromatics and add in meatballs and both types of beans. Simmer for ~5 minutes to warm everything through.
- Stir lemon juice and hot sauce (if you’d like it spicy) into soup. Season with some salt and pepper.
- Ladle soup into serving bowls. Serve with yogurt and parsley on top. Enjoy!
Yum! I love this and it came together easily0 Helpful
Do not skip the hot sauce or yogurt!0 Helpful
Much better than the last time we had this soup, due to the addition of the meatballs.0 Helpful
This was a good crockpot meal. The meat eaters just added the meatballs to the vegetarian version.0 Helpful
Great flavor and easy to make from another meal leftovers.0 Helpful
This had a good flavor, and came together really quickly with premade meatballs.0 Helpful