Shepherd’s Pie with Lentils and Mushrooms
and mixed greens salad
This vegetarian shepherd's pie, packed with lentils, mushrooms, a savory spice mix, and topped with a blanket of mashed potatoes, was such a hit with our community last year that we are bringing it back! Ready in under an hour, this weeknight meal is guaranteed to satisfy everyone in your household.
Mixed Greens Salad with Grapes and Almonds:
- Grapes, red or green - 16 , halved
- Vinegar, balsamic - 2 tsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 2 tsp
- Honey - 1 tsp
- Oil, olive - 2 Tbsp
- Mixed greens - 5 oz
- Almonds, sliced - 1/4 cup
Shepherd's Pie Spice Mix:
- Salt - 1 tsp
- Garlic powder - 1 tsp
- Mustard powder (opt) - 1/2 tsp
- Black pepper - 1/2 tsp
- Thyme, dried - 1/2 tsp
Shepherd’s Pie with Lentils and Mushrooms:
- Onions, medium - 1/2 , chopped
- Parsley - 1 Tbsp , chopped
- Mushrooms, any button - 8 oz , chopped (look for pre-chopped)
- Potatoes, russet - 1 lb , peeled and cubed
- Mixed frozen vegetables - 1 1/2 cups (like peas, corn, and carrots)
- Lentils, pre-cooked - 2 cups (look for vacuum-packed or canned)
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Water - 2 Tbsp
- Soy sauce - 2 tsp
- Tomato paste - 3 Tbsp
- Yogurt, plain or Greek - 1/4 cup
- Butter - 1 Tbsp
- Spice mix - Combine salt, garlic powder, mustard powder, pepper, and dried thyme. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Onions - Chop onions. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Parsley - Chop parsley. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
- Mushrooms / Grapes - Prep as directed and store separately. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
- Potatoes - Peel and cube potatoes. If not using right away, soak in water to prevent browning.
- Frozen vegetable mix - Place in a colander and run under warm tap water to defrost.
- Lentils - If using canned lentils, drain and rinse.
- Turn on the oven's broiler and place an oven rack about 6" / 15 cm under the heat source.
- Place potatoes into a saucepan and cover with cold water and some salt. Cover and bring to a boil. Simmer uncovered for 12 to 15 minutes until potatoes can be easily pierced by a knife. Drain and let sit in a colander for ~5 minutes to let the steam escape (this creates creamier potatoes vs. liquidy potatoes).
- While potatoes are cooking, heat a skillet or saute pan over medium-high heat. Add cooking oil and then mushrooms to heated oil. Saute until mushrooms are deep golden brown, ~5 minutes.
- Add onions and saute until softened, 2 to 3 minutes. Add spice mix and saute until fragrant, ~1 minute more.
- Add lentils and frozen vegetables and saute to heat through, ~1 minute.
- Stir in water, soy sauce, parsley, and tomato paste.
- Transfer filling to a lightly greased 8" x 8" / 20 cm x 20 cm baker (for 4 servings; adjust accordingly if customizing servings).
- Use a masher to mash steamed potatoes with yogurt, butter, and some salt. Spoon over top of filling and spread to evenly cover.
- Broil for 8 to 12 minutes, until the top is golden brown and crisp.
- Whisk together vinegar, mustard, and honey in a mixing bowl. Add olive oil while whisking. Add mixed greens, grapes, and almonds to vinaigrette. Toss just before serving.
- Enjoy shepherd’s pie with salad on the side.