Shepherd’s Pie with Mashed Sweet Potatoes
and mixed greens salad
This shepherd's pie, packed with seasoned ground beef, veggies, and topped with a blanket of mashed sweet potatoes, was such a hit with our community last year that we are bringing it back! Ready in under an hour, this weeknight meal is guaranteed to satisfy everyone in your household.
Mixed Greens Salad with Grapes and Almonds:
- Grapes, red or green - 16 , halved
- Vinegar, balsamic - 2 tsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 2 tsp
- Honey - 1 tsp
- Oil, olive - 2 Tbsp
- Mixed greens - 5 oz
- Almonds, sliced - 1/4 cup
Shepherd's Pie Spice Mix:
- Salt - 1 tsp
- Garlic powder - 1 tsp
- Mustard powder (opt) - 1/2 tsp
- Black pepper - 1/2 tsp
- Thyme, dried - 1/2 tsp
Shepherd’s Pie with Mashed Sweet Potatoes:
- Sweet potatoes - 1 lb , peeled and cubed
- Onions, medium - 1/2 , chopped
- Parsley - 1 Tbsp , chopped
- Beef, ground - 1 lb
- Mixed frozen vegetables - 1 1/2 cups (any type)
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Bragg's / coconut aminos - 2 tsp
- Tomato paste - 3 Tbsp
- Butter - 3 Tbsp
- Spice mix - Combine salt, garlic powder, mustard powder, pepper, and dried thyme. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Sweet potatoes / Onions - Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Parsley - Chop parsley. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
- Grapes - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
- Season beef - Combine beef with spice mix. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Frozen vegetable mix - Place in a colander and run under warm tap water to defrost.
- Turn on the oven's broiler and place an oven rack about 6" / 15 cm under the heat source.
- Place potatoes into a saucepan and cover with cold water and some salt. Cover and bring to a boil. Simmer uncovered for 12 to 15 minutes until potatoes can be easily pierced by a knife. Drain and let sit in a colander for ~5 minutes to let the steam escape (this creates creamier potatoes vs. liquidy potatoes).
- While potatoes are cooking, heat a skillet or saute pan over medium-high heat. Add cooking oil and onions to heated oil. Saute until onions are soft, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add beef and saute until beef is cooked through, 5 to 6 minutes.
- Stir in frozen vegetables, aminos, parsley, and tomato paste. Cook for 1 minute to heat everything through.
- Transfer filling to a lightly greased 8" x 8" / 20 cm x 20 cm baker (for 4 servings; adjust accordingly if customizing servings).
- Use a masher to mash steamed potatoes with butter and some salt. Spoon over top of filling and spread to evenly cover.
- Broil for 8 to 12 minutes, until the top is golden brown and crisp.
- Whisk together vinegar, mustard, and honey in a mixing bowl. Add olive oil while whisking. Add mixed greens, grapes, and almonds to vinaigrette. Toss just before serving.
- Enjoy shepherd’s pie with salad on the side.