Vegetarian Shepherd’s Pie with Lentils and Mushrooms
and mixed greens salad
This vegetarian shepherd's pie, packed with lentils, mushrooms, a savory spice mix, and topped with a blanket of mashed potatoes, was such a hit with our community last year that we are bringing it back! Ready in under an hour, this weeknight meal is guaranteed to satisfy meat-eaters and vegetarians alike.
- Grapes, red or green - 16, halved
- Vinegar, balsamic - 2 tsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 2 tsp
- Honey - 1 tsp
- Oil, olive - 2 Tbsp
- Mixed greens - 5 oz
- Almonds, sliced - 1/4 cup
- Salt - 1 tsp
- Garlic powder - 1 tsp
- Mustard powder (opt) - 1/2 tsp
- Black pepper - 1/2 tsp
- Thyme, dried - 1/2 tsp
- Onions, medium - 1/2, chopped
- Parsley - 1 Tbsp, chopped
- Mushrooms, any button - 8 oz, chopped (look for pre-chopped)
- Potatoes, russet - 1 lb, peeled and cubed
- Mixed frozen vegetables - 1 1/2 cups (like peas, corn, and carrots)
- Lentils, pre-cooked - 2 cups (look for vacuum-packed or canned)
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Water - 2 Tbsp
- Worcestershire sauce - 2 tsp (sub soy sauce)
- Tomato paste - 3 Tbsp
- Yogurt, plain or Greek - 1/4 cup
- Butter - 1 Tbsp
- Spice mix - Combine salt, garlic powder, mustard powder, pepper, and dried thyme. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Onions - Chop onions. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Parsley - Chop parsley. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
- Mushrooms / Grapes - Prep as directed and store separately. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
- Potatoes - Peel and cube potatoes. If not using right away, soak in water to prevent browning.
- Frozen vegetable mix - Place in a colander and run under warm tap water to defrost.
- Lentils - If using canned lentils, drain and rinse.
- Turn on the oven's broiler and place an oven rack about 6" / 15 cm under the heat source.
- Place potatoes into a saucepan and cover with cold water and some salt. Cover and bring to a boil. Simmer uncovered for 12 to 15 minutes until potatoes can be easily pierced by a knife. Drain and let sit in a colander for ~5 minutes to let the steam escape (this creates creamier potatoes vs. liquidy potatoes).
- While potatoes are cooking, heat a skillet or saute pan over medium-high heat. Add cooking oil and then mushrooms to heated oil. Saute until mushrooms are deep golden brown, ~5 minutes.
- Add onions and saute until softened, 2 to 3 minutes. Add spice mix and saute until fragrant, ~1 minute more.
- Add lentils and frozen vegetables and saute to heat through, ~1 minute.
- Stir in water, Worcestershire sauce, parsley, and tomato paste.
- Transfer filling to a lightly greased 8" x 8" / 20 cm x 20 cm baker (for 4 servings; adjust accordingly if customizing servings).
- Use a masher to mash steamed potatoes with yogurt, butter, and some salt. Spoon over top of filling and spread to evenly cover.
- Broil for 8 to 12 minutes, until the top is golden brown and crisp.
- Whisk together vinegar, mustard, and honey in a mixing bowl. Add olive oil while whisking. Add mixed greens, grapes, and almonds to vinaigrette. Toss just before serving.
- Enjoy shepherd’s pie with salad on the side.
My grandson loved the mashed potatoes and wanted more, but I think he didn't care for the thyme in it. My husband the picky eater liked it. I loved it. Next time I'll be sure to use less thyme or be sure to use ground thyme. My granddaughter asked for seconds! She said " I can't believe I'm eating all vegetables!"0 Helpful
I liked this, but it took me a long time to prepare, so I wouldn't mark it as a favorite for that reason0 Helpful
It took a while to put together but it was very good. I scaled this up to 8 servings and my only complaint is that there was not enough of the mashed potatoes to completely cover the top of the casserole. I will increase the amount of potatoes when I do this again. Even my kids ate it and thought it was tasty.0 Helpful
I personally just didn’t like the flavor of this. Neither did husband or toddler.0 Helpful
Made paleo and vegetarian. They were beautiful in the oven. It took a long time but was worth it. We both really enjoyed this one.0 Helpful
Made a large batch and had leftovers all week; great to reheat for lunches. Very savory and filling.0 Helpful