Moroccan Meatballswith roasted cauliflower / green beans
Juicy ground beef meatballs in a velvety tomato sauce are seasoned with a homemade Moroccan spice mix of coriander, paprika, cumin, ginger, and cinnamon. Served with roasted green beans and cauliflower on the side - this is a comforting way to start the week!
Smarts:The egg in the meatballs acts as a binder to hold the ingredients together. To keep the meatballs tender, try not to overmix.
- Parsley - 1 Tbsp, chopped
- Beef, ground - 2 lbs
- Eggs - 1
- Salt - 1 tsp
- Black pepper - 1/2 tsp
- Parsley - 1 Tbsp, chopped
- Garlic - 2 cloves, chopped
- Oil, cooking - 2 Tbsp
- Tomatoes, crushed (28 oz / 794 g) - 1 can
- Coriander, ground - 1 tsp
- Paprika, smoked - 1 tsp
- Cumin - 1/2 tsp
- Ginger, ground - 1/2 tsp
- Cinnamon - 1/4 tsp
- Green beans - 16 oz, trimmed
- Cauliflower, florets - 16 oz, chopped
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Lemon juice - 2 tsp
- Green beans / Cauliflower / Parsley (for meatballs and meatballs in sauce) / Garlic - Prep as directed. Combine green beans and cauliflower. Store remaining ingredients separately. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make spice mix - (Double if making Thursday’s meal.) Combine coriander, smoked paprika, cumin, ginger, and cinnamon. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make meatballs - (This makes enough for two nights.) Combine parsley (portion for just meatballs), ground beef, eggs, salt, and black pepper. Form into 1.5” / 3.75 cm wide meatballs. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Heat oven to 450F / 232C degrees.
- Arrange green beans and cauliflower on a sheet pan. Drizzle with oil (portion for vegetables) and some salt and pepper. Toss to coat.
- Roast vegetables in the oven, stirring halfway through cooking, until tender and the edges of the cauliflower florets are brown and crisp, 20 to 25 minutes.
- While vegetables roast, heat a large skillet with a lid over medium high heat. Add oil (portion for meatballs in sauce) and then meatballs and saute until cooked on the outsides, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add spice mix (reserve half if doubled) and garlic to meatballs and stir until fragrant, ~1 minute more. Pour tomatoes over top and cover with a lid. Bring to a simmer.
- Simmer meatballs until cooked through, 10 to 12 minutes.
- When meatballs are cooked through, use a slotted spoon to remove half the meatballs for Thursday night’s meal (no need to reserve any sauce).
- To remaining meatballs / sauce, taste and season the sauce with some salt and pepper.
- Squeeze lemon juice over roasted vegetables.
- Serve meatballs and sauce with roasted vegetables on the side. Finish with parsley (portion for meatballs in sauce) sprinkled over the meatballs. Enjoy!
This meal has 64 reviews
The sauce was a bit sweet so I added red pepper flakes and it was perfect.
I added an onion and doubled the spices. We really liked it.
Added panko to the meatballs.
Fine weeknight option. We pretty much love meatballs.
This is pretty good. The sauce was a little soupy but good. I used turkey for the meatballs instead of beef and the meatballs turned out really well.
Not enough spices and I would have preferred the sauce to be thicker.