Moroccan Tofu Bowlswith quinoa / roasted cauliflower
Sauteed tofu in a velvety tomato sauce is seasoned with a homemade Moroccan spice mix of coriander, paprika, cumin, ginger, and cinnamon. Served over fluffy quinoa with roasted cauliflower on the side - this is comfort in a bowl!
Smarts:If you find that your tomatoes are too acidic, add a pinch of sugar to the sauce.
- Tofu, extra-firm - 16 oz, 1/2" / 1.3 cm cubes (vacuum-packed preferable)
- Quinoa, uncooked - 2/3 cup
- Stock, any type - 1 1/3 cup
- Parsley - 1 Tbsp, chopped
- Garlic - 2 cloves, chopped
- Oil, cooking - 2 Tbsp
- Tomatoes, crushed (14 oz / 397 g) - 1 can
- Coriander, ground - 1 tsp
- Paprika, smoked - 1 tsp
- Cumin - 1/2 tsp
- Ginger, ground - 1/2 tsp
- Cinnamon - 1/4 tsp
- Cauliflower, florets - 16 oz, chopped
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Lemon juice - 2 tsp
- Tofu - If tofu is packaged in water, press out liquid first, like in this video. Then slice into 1/2” / 1.3 cm thick cubes. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Quinoa - (Double if making Wednesday’s meal; if prepping right before cooking, get oven heating before continuing with prep.) Combine quinoa with stock in a saucepan. Add some salt. Bring to a boil covered. Lower heat, keep covered, and cook until liquid is absorbed, 8 to 10 minutes. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Cauliflower / Parsley / Garlic - Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make spice mix - (Double if making Thursday’s meal.) Combine coriander, smoked paprika, cumin, ginger, and cinnamon. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Heat oven to 450F / 232C degrees.
- Arrange cauliflower on a sheet pan. Drizzle with oil (portion for cauliflower) and season with some salt and pepper. Toss to coat.
- Roast cauliflower in the oven, stirring halfway through cooking, until the edges are brown and crisp, 20 to 25 minutes.
- While cauliflower roasts, heat a large skillet with a lid over medium high heat. Add oil (portion for bowls) and then tofu and saute until slightly browned on the outside, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add spice mix (reserve half if doubled) and garlic to tofu and stir until fragrant, ~1 minute more. Pour tomatoes over top and cover with a lid. Bring to a simmer.
- Simmer tofu in sauce for 10 minutes to let the flavors come together.
- Taste tofu / sauce and season with some salt and pepper. Add a pinch of sugar if you’d like a bit of sweetness.
- If quinoa was made ahead, reheat in the microwave (reserve half if doubled).
- Squeeze lemon juice over roasted cauliflower.
- Assemble bowls by topping quinoa with tofu and sauce. Serve cauliflower on the side. Finish with parsley. Enjoy!
This meal has 65 reviews
The leftover sauce was delicious for a one-person shakshuka.
This was good but made a lot of things to clean. I would double the couscous next time.
Had low expectations, but we’re pleasantly surprised! We will make this again!
Delicious, tofu was perfectly seasoned with these directions. It was easy enough to do in less than an hour with no prior preparation.
My toddler loved this!
We had company on Monday so wanted the crockpot meal then so I ended up making the meatballs Sunday. They were fine in the fridge til Wednesday and I only had to do the tofu then making it very quick and easy.