Baked Sesame Soy Tofu
with broccoli / carrots / quinoa
- Quinoa, uncooked - 3/4 cup
- Stock, any type - 1 1/2 cups
- Broccoli - 10 oz, chopped
- Carrots - 8 oz, sliced
- Tofu, extra-firm - 16 oz, 1/2" / 1.3 cm rectangles
- Foil - for baking
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Hot sauce (opt) - for serving
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 2 Tbsp
- Vinegar, rice - 2 Tbsp
- Oil, toasted sesame - 2 tsp
- Brown sugar - 1 tsp
- Oil, cooking - 1/4 cup
- Make vinaigrette - Whisk together soy sauce, rice vinegar, sesame oil, brown sugar, and cooking oil (portion for vinaigrette). Add some hot sauce if you’d like a bit of spice. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Quinoa - (Skip if quinoa was made ahead for Tuesday.) Combine quinoa with stock in a saucepan. Add some salt. Bring to a boil covered. Lower heat, keep covered, and cook until liquid is absorbed, 8 to 10 minutes. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Broccoli / Carrots - Prep as directed and combine. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Tofu - If tofu is packaged in water, press out liquid first, like in this video. Then slice into 1/2” / 1.3 cm thick rectangles. Pour 1/3 of vinaigrette over tofu and marinate for at least 20 minutes and up to 1 day. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Heat oven to 500F / 260C degrees. Line a sheet pan with foil.
- Remove tofu from marinade and place in a single layer on sheet pan. Season with some salt and pepper and then roast for 12 to 15 minutes until the outsides are golden and crispy.
- Heat a skillet over medium-high heat. Add in cooking oil (portion for tofu) and then broccoli and carrots to heated oil with some salt. Saute for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add in 1/3 of the vinaigrette and cover with a lid. Steam vegetables, covered, until tender, ~3 minutes.
- If quinoa was made ahead, reheat in the microwave.
- Serve tofu and vegetables over quinoa. Drizzle remaining 1/3 of vinaigrette over top. Add some hot sauce if you’d like. Enjoy!
Added garlic to the chicken. It was SOOO quick & easy and absolutely delicious. So many common items, so it came out as a very affordable recipe.0 Helpful
Easy, healthy, delicious.0 Helpful
This was okay but I would use less soy next time as everyone found it easy too salty0 Helpful
Very good and kid friendly.0 Helpful
It was a relatively healthy and easy meal, but nothing too exciting in there.0 Helpful
Pretty bland even though I marinated overnight -- definitely needed the hot sauce.0 Helpful