Baked Sesame Chicken Breastswith broccoli / carrots / cauliflower rice
This simple and flavorful sesame vinaigrette adds a wow factor to baked chicken. Served with sauteed broccoli and carrots over cauliflower rice, this is an easy weeknight dinner you can feel good about! Featured in 2013, we updated the recipe to include carrots.
- Cauliflower - 12 oz, florets
- Butter - 1 Tbsp
- Broccoli - 10 oz, chopped
- Carrots - 8 oz, sliced
- Chicken breasts, boneless and skinless - 1 lb, halved
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp
- Sesame seeds, white (opt) - 2 tsp
- Foil - for baking
- Hot sauce (opt) - for serving
- Bragg's / coconut aminos - 2 Tbsp
- Vinegar, rice - 2 Tbsp
- Oil, toasted sesame - 2 tsp
- Honey - 1 tsp
- Oil, cooking - 1/4 cup
- Make vinaigrette - Whisk together aminos, rice vinegar, sesame oil, honey, and cooking oil (portion for vinaigrette). Add some hot sauce if you’d like a bit of spice. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Cauliflower rice - Pulse florets in a food processor until broken up into ‘rice’-sized bits. Cook rice in one of two ways: 1) Microwave for 4 to 5 minutes and then fold in butter. Season with some salt and pepper; or 2) Heat a pan over medium-high heat and add butter. Saute cauliflower in heated butter for ~5 minutes, until tender but still crunchy. Season to taste with some salt and pepper. Watch this video for the full how-to on cauliflower rice. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Broccoli / Carrots - Prep as directed and combine. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Chicken - Halve chicken breasts and tenderize with a fork. Pour 1/3 of vinaigrette over chicken and marinate for at least 20 minutes and up to 1 day. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Remove chicken from marinade (discard marinade) and season with some salt and pepper.
- Heat oven to 400F / 204C degrees.
- Heat a skillet over medium-high heat. Add first part of cooking oil (portion for chicken) and then chicken to heated oil (cook in batches if it won’t all fit at once). Sear on each side for ~2 minutes and then move to a baking dish. Sprinkle sesame seeds on top.
- Cover baking dish tightly with foil and then transfer to oven until chicken breasts are cooked through and reach 165F / 74C degrees, 6 to 8 minutes.
- While chicken is cooking, wipe the skillet clean and return to heat.
- Add second part of cooking oil (portion for chicken) and then broccoli and carrots to heated oil with some salt. Saute for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add in 1/3 of the vinaigrette and cover with a lid. Steam vegetables, covered, until tender, ~3 minutes.
- If cauliflower rice was made ahead, reheat in the microwave.
- Serve chicken and vegetables over cauliflower rice. Drizzle remaining 1/3 of vinaigrette over top. Add some hot sauce if you’d like. Enjoy!
Added garlic to the chicken. It was SOOO quick & easy and absolutely delicious. So many common items, so it came out as a very affordable recipe.0 Helpful
Easy, healthy, delicious.0 Helpful
This was okay but I would use less soy next time as everyone found it easy too salty0 Helpful
Very good and kid friendly.0 Helpful
It was a relatively healthy and easy meal, but nothing too exciting in there.0 Helpful
Pretty bland even though I marinated overnight -- definitely needed the hot sauce.0 Helpful