Baked Sesame Soy Tofu
with broccoli / carrots / quinoa
This simple and flavorful sesame soy vinaigrette adds a wow factor to baked tofu. Served with sauteed broccoli and carrots over quinoa, this is an easy weeknight dinner you can feel good about! Featured in 2013, we updated the recipe to include carrots.
- Quinoa, uncooked - 3/4 cup
- Stock, any type - 1 1/2 cups
- Broccoli - 10 oz, chopped
- Carrots - 8 oz, sliced
- Tofu, extra-firm - 16 oz, 1/2" / 1.3 cm rectangles
- Foil - for baking
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Hot sauce (opt) - for serving
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 2 Tbsp
- Vinegar, rice - 2 Tbsp
- Oil, toasted sesame - 2 tsp
- Brown sugar - 1 tsp
- Oil, cooking - 1/4 cup
- Make vinaigrette - Whisk together soy sauce, rice vinegar, sesame oil, brown sugar, and cooking oil (portion for vinaigrette). Add some hot sauce if you’d like a bit of spice. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Quinoa - (Skip if quinoa was made ahead for Tuesday.) Combine quinoa with stock in a saucepan. Add some salt. Bring to a boil covered. Lower heat, keep covered, and cook until liquid is absorbed, 8 to 10 minutes. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Broccoli / Carrots - Prep as directed and combine. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Tofu - If tofu is packaged in water, press out liquid first, like in this video. Then slice into 1/2” / 1.3 cm thick rectangles. Pour 1/3 of vinaigrette over tofu and marinate for at least 20 minutes and up to 1 day. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Heat oven to 500F / 260C degrees. Line a sheet pan with foil.
- Remove tofu from marinade and place in a single layer on sheet pan. Season with some salt and pepper and then roast for 12 to 15 minutes until the outsides are golden and crispy.
- Heat a skillet over medium-high heat. Add in cooking oil (portion for tofu) and then broccoli and carrots to heated oil with some salt. Saute for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add in 1/3 of the vinaigrette and cover with a lid. Steam vegetables, covered, until tender, ~3 minutes.
- If quinoa was made ahead, reheat in the microwave.
- Serve tofu and vegetables over quinoa. Drizzle remaining 1/3 of vinaigrette over top. Add some hot sauce if you’d like. Enjoy!
Made extra sauce and added a can of water chestnuts. More of a stir fry and very good.0 Helpful
I subbed fish for chicken and it worked out really well. I roasted the broccoli and also roasted the carrots with a little bit of honey (the kids loved them) instead of sautéing them.0 Helpful
Really really tasty! Subbed in chicken thighs (and added a bit of butter to the quinoa ;)) and thought the marinade was absolutely fantastic!0 Helpful
The chicken was okay - a little bland, but I didn’t filet the chicken breasts because they were on the smaller side. Maybe that would’ve made a difference. The veggies on the other hand we’re awesome!!0 Helpful
Amazing flavor! It is a favorite!0 Helpful
So easy and quick!0 Helpful