Baked Sesame Chicken Breasts
with broccoli / carrots / cauliflower rice
This simple and flavorful sesame vinaigrette adds a wow factor to baked chicken. Served with sauteed broccoli and carrots over cauliflower rice, this is an easy weeknight dinner you can feel good about! Featured in 2013, we updated the recipe to include carrots.
- Cauliflower - 12 oz, florets
- Butter - 1 Tbsp
- Broccoli - 10 oz, chopped
- Carrots - 8 oz, sliced
- Chicken breasts, boneless and skinless - 1 lb, halved
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp
- Sesame seeds, white (opt) - 2 tsp
- Foil - for baking
- Hot sauce (opt) - for serving
- Bragg's / coconut aminos - 2 Tbsp
- Vinegar, rice - 2 Tbsp
- Oil, toasted sesame - 2 tsp
- Honey - 1 tsp
- Oil, cooking - 1/4 cup
- Make vinaigrette - Whisk together aminos, rice vinegar, sesame oil, honey, and cooking oil (portion for vinaigrette). Add some hot sauce if you’d like a bit of spice. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Cauliflower rice - Pulse florets in a food processor until broken up into ‘rice’-sized bits. Cook rice in one of two ways: 1) Microwave for 4 to 5 minutes and then fold in butter. Season with some salt and pepper; or 2) Heat a pan over medium-high heat and add butter. Saute cauliflower in heated butter for ~5 minutes, until tender but still crunchy. Season to taste with some salt and pepper. Watch this video for the full how-to on cauliflower rice. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Broccoli / Carrots - Prep as directed and combine. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Chicken - Halve chicken breasts and tenderize with a fork. Pour 1/3 of vinaigrette over chicken and marinate for at least 20 minutes and up to 1 day. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Remove chicken from marinade (discard marinade) and season with some salt and pepper.
- Heat oven to 400F / 204C degrees.
- Heat a skillet over medium-high heat. Add first part of cooking oil (portion for chicken) and then chicken to heated oil (cook in batches if it won’t all fit at once). Sear on each side for ~2 minutes and then move to a baking dish. Sprinkle sesame seeds on top.
- Cover baking dish tightly with foil and then transfer to oven until chicken breasts are cooked through and reach 165F / 74C degrees, 6 to 8 minutes.
- While chicken is cooking, wipe the skillet clean and return to heat.
- Add second part of cooking oil (portion for chicken) and then broccoli and carrots to heated oil with some salt. Saute for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add in 1/3 of the vinaigrette and cover with a lid. Steam vegetables, covered, until tender, ~3 minutes.
- If cauliflower rice was made ahead, reheat in the microwave.
- Serve chicken and vegetables over cauliflower rice. Drizzle remaining 1/3 of vinaigrette over top. Add some hot sauce if you’d like. Enjoy!
Made extra sauce and added a can of water chestnuts. More of a stir fry and very good.0 Helpful
I subbed fish for chicken and it worked out really well. I roasted the broccoli and also roasted the carrots with a little bit of honey (the kids loved them) instead of sautéing them.0 Helpful
Really really tasty! Subbed in chicken thighs (and added a bit of butter to the quinoa ;)) and thought the marinade was absolutely fantastic!0 Helpful
The chicken was okay - a little bland, but I didn’t filet the chicken breasts because they were on the smaller side. Maybe that would’ve made a difference. The veggies on the other hand we’re awesome!!0 Helpful
Amazing flavor! It is a favorite!0 Helpful
So easy and quick!0 Helpful