Seared Pork Chops with Sauteed Apples
and arugula salad
Smarts:Toasting the walnuts for the salad will bring out the flavor!
- Pork chops, boneless or bone-in - 4
- Apples - 2, peeled and chopped
- Vinegar, apple cider - 2 tsp
- Lemon juice - 2 tsp
- Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp
- Vinegar, apple cider - 1 Tbsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 2 tsp
- Honey - 1 tsp
- Oil, olive - 3 Tbsp
- Walnuts, halves - 2 oz
- Arugula - 6 oz
- Cranberries, dried - 1/4 cup
- Make vinaigrette - Whisk together vinegar (portion for salad), mustard, and honey. Add olive oil while whisking. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Toast walnuts - If you’d like the walnuts toasted, saute in a dry skillet over medium heat until fragrant, 4 to 5 minutes. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Pork - Tenderize and season with some salt and pepper. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Apples - Peel and chop apples. Toss with vinegar (portion for pork), lemon juice, and mustard seeds.
- Heat skillet with first part of cooking oil over medium-high heat. Sear pork on each side for ~3 minutes. For thin pork chops, this should be enough heat to cook them through. If you’re using thicker pork chops, lower heat and cover with a piece of foil until pork reaches 145F / 63C degrees.
- Set pork aside and cover. Let pork rest for 5 minutes. Return skillet to heat.
- While pork rests, adjust heat under skillet to medium. Add second part of cooking oil and then apples (including any liquid that has gathered in the bowl). Saute apples until warmed through and starting to caramelize on the outside, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Just before serving, toss together walnuts, arugula, and dried cranberries. Add vinaigrette until dressed to your liking.
- Serve pork with apples on top and salad on the side. Enjoy!
Made a different salad with strawberry’s. The egg mixture wasn’t enough for 4 slices of bread.. but maybe depends on the type of bread you have. Very tasty though (made it for breakfast actually)0 Helpful
A easy weeknight meal that was tasty :)0 Helpful
Added vanilla to French toast and did not make the salad. We made scrambled parmesan basil eggs for the side.0 Helpful
Very good. We did not do the salad. Added vanilla to the French toast.0 Helpful
We made bacon instead of salad. Very good!0 Helpful
Delish!! Love a brinner :)0 Helpful