French Toast with Cinnamon Applesand arugula salad
Breakfast for dinner is a fun way to shake-up your dinner routine! Seasonally crisp apples are sauteed with butter, cinnamon, and a touch of sugar until caramelized and then spooned over hot french toast. With a light arugula salad on the side, this meal will bring smiles to everyone and fill your home with the warm spices of fall!
Smarts:Day old bread is perfect for french toast, since older bread will soak up more of the egg mixture!
- Apples - 2, peeled and chopped
- Brown sugar - 2 Tbsp
- Cinnamon - 1 tsp + 1/2 tsp
- Eggs - 4
- Milk - 2 Tbsp
- Butter - 1 Tbsp + 2 Tbsp
- Bread, sandwich - 8 slices
- Butter, syrup, or other French toast toppings if you’d like - for serving
- Vinegar, apple cider - 1 Tbsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 2 tsp
- Honey - 1 tsp
- Oil, olive - 3 Tbsp
- Walnuts, halves - 2 oz
- Arugula - 6 oz
- Cranberries, dried - 1/4 cup
- Make vinaigrette - Whisk together vinegar, mustard, and honey. Add oil while whisking. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Toast walnuts - If you’d like the walnuts toasted, saute in a dry skillet over medium heat until fragrant, 4 to 5 minutes. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Apples - Peel and chop apples. Toss with brown sugar and first part of cinnamon.
- Eggs - Whisk eggs with milk and second part of cinnamon.
- Heat nonstick pan with first part of butter over medium-high heat. Add apples and any liquid that has gathered in the bowl and saute in butter until warmed through and starting to caramelize on the outside, 4 to 5 minutes. Set aside.
- Heat griddle over medium heat (or, if the nonstick pan you used for the apples is large enough to hold the bread, you can wipe it out and return it to heat).
- While pan heats, pour egg mixture into a shallow baking dish.
- Grease griddle / pan with second part of butter. Working with one piece of bread at a time, coat it in egg mixture and place it on griddle. Cook bread until golden brown on both sides, 2 to 4 minutes per side.
- Just before serving, toss together walnuts, arugula, and dried cranberries. Add vinaigrette until dressed to your liking.
- Top French toast with apples and any other toppings you’d like. Serve with salad on the side. Enjoy!
This meal has 21 reviews
Kids did not like the salad, but loved the apples and french toast!
Yummy! We added veggie sausage and eggs for protein, and we were pleased with the results. I suspect it might have been too little food otherwise.
Kids loved this one. Easy to make!
Quick and tasty
I enjoyed this but I think our pork chops may have been a little thin, the cook time was slightly too long and they were tough.
Quick and easy. Love fall apples