French Toast with Cinnamon Apples
and arugula salad
Smarts:Day old bread is perfect for french toast, since older bread will soak up more of the egg mixture!
- Apples - 2, peeled and chopped
- Brown sugar - 2 Tbsp
- Cinnamon - 1 tsp + 1/2 tsp
- Eggs - 4
- Milk - 2 Tbsp
- Butter - 1 Tbsp + 2 Tbsp
- Bread, sandwich - 8 slices
- Butter, syrup, or other French toast toppings if you’d like - for serving
- Vinegar, apple cider - 1 Tbsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 2 tsp
- Honey - 1 tsp
- Oil, olive - 3 Tbsp
- Walnuts, halves - 2 oz
- Arugula - 6 oz
- Cranberries, dried - 1/4 cup
- Make vinaigrette - Whisk together vinegar, mustard, and honey. Add oil while whisking. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Toast walnuts - If you’d like the walnuts toasted, saute in a dry skillet over medium heat until fragrant, 4 to 5 minutes. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Apples - Peel and chop apples. Toss with brown sugar and first part of cinnamon.
- Eggs - Whisk eggs with milk and second part of cinnamon.
- Heat nonstick pan with first part of butter over medium-high heat. Add apples and any liquid that has gathered in the bowl and saute in butter until warmed through and starting to caramelize on the outside, 4 to 5 minutes. Set aside.
- Heat griddle over medium heat (or, if the nonstick pan you used for the apples is large enough to hold the bread, you can wipe it out and return it to heat).
- While pan heats, pour egg mixture into a shallow baking dish.
- Grease griddle / pan with second part of butter. Working with one piece of bread at a time, coat it in egg mixture and place it on griddle. Cook bread until golden brown on both sides, 2 to 4 minutes per side.
- Just before serving, toss together walnuts, arugula, and dried cranberries. Add vinaigrette until dressed to your liking.
- Top French toast with apples and any other toppings you’d like. Serve with salad on the side. Enjoy!
Made a different salad with strawberry’s. The egg mixture wasn’t enough for 4 slices of bread.. but maybe depends on the type of bread you have. Very tasty though (made it for breakfast actually)0 Helpful
A easy weeknight meal that was tasty :)0 Helpful
Added vanilla to French toast and did not make the salad. We made scrambled parmesan basil eggs for the side.0 Helpful
Very good. We did not do the salad. Added vanilla to the French toast.0 Helpful
We made bacon instead of salad. Very good!0 Helpful
Delish!! Love a brinner :)0 Helpful