Turkey Pot Pieand almond crust / green beans with vinaigrette
For a twist on pot pie, we use seasoned ground turkey, creme fraiche, and classic veggies (onions, carrots, and peas) topped with an almond crust. We start the dish on the stove top and finish in the oven alongside green beans for a comforting one pot meal that's ready in under an hour.
Smarts:The egg wash will help the almond crust reach a deep golden brown in the oven.
- Egg whites - 4, whisked
- Almond meal / flour - 1 cup
- Baking powder - 1 tsp
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Butter - 1/3 cup, chilled
- Onions, medium - 1, diced
- Carrots - 8 oz, diced
- Garlic - 3 cloves, chopped
- Parsley - 1 Tbsp, chopped
- Turkey, ground - 1 lb
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Paprika - 1/2 tsp
- Thyme, dried - 1/2 tsp
- Coriander, ground - 1/2 tsp
- Black pepper - 1/4 tsp
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Flour, any gluten-free - 3 Tbsp
- Peas, frozen - 1 cup
- Stock, any type - 1 1/2 cups
- Creme fraiche - 1/4 cup (plus extra for serving)
- Egg yolk - 1
- Water - 1 tsp
- Green beans - 1 lb, trimmed
- Oil, olive - 1 Tbsp
- Vinegar, red or white wine - 1 tsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 1 tsp
- Almonds, sliced - 1 oz
- Green beans / Onions / Carrots / Garlic - Prep as directed. Store green beans in one container. Combine onions and carrots. Store garlic separately. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Parsley - Chop parsley. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
- Season turkey - Combine turkey with salt (portion for pot pie), paprika, dried thyme, coriander, and pepper. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Almond crust - Whisk egg whites. Combine egg whites, almond meal / flour, baking powder, salt (portion for crust), and butter in a food processor or standing mixer. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Heat oven to 400F / 204C degrees.
- Spread green beans out on a sheet pan. Toss with olive oil and season with some salt and pepper. Roast until green beans are tender and brown in spots, shaking the pan halfway through cooking, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Heat an oven-safe skillet over medium-high heat. Add cooking oil and then onions and carrots with a pinch of salt. Saute until onions and carrots are softened, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add seasoned turkey and saute, breaking turkey apart, until cooked through, 4 to 5 minutes. Drain off any excess liquid.
- Stir in garlic and flour until no dry spots of flour remain.
- Next add in peas (no need to defrost them, just break them up as they cook) and stock. Bring to a simmer and simmer until stock thickens slightly, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in creme fraiche and parsley. Taste and season with some salt and pepper.
- Spread almond crust over top (again it's ok if it's wet and sits right on top of the filling).
- Whisk egg yolk and water and brush over almond crust. Make a few slits with a knife and bake in the oven for 20 to 25 minutes, until golden.
- When green beans are done, toss with vinegar and mustard. Sprinkle almonds over top.
- Serve pot pie with some extra creme fraiche on top and green beans on the side. Enjoy!
This meal has 45 reviews
subbed the creme for plain yoghurt, was a bit wet, but taste was DELICIOUS! everybody loved it! Will sub the creme fraiche for greek yoghurt next time, maybe a bit less stock. Will try paleo too.
Made a few changes. Didn't add creme fraiche or corinander. Tasted great otherwise. I used pie crust instead of puff pastry and made it into a normal pot pie. I would probably not make it again with turkey, maybe try with chicken or pork next time.
I can’t wait to make this for company! Instead of beans and almonds, I used Brussels sprouts and toasted pecans. It also made enough for a mini one for a freezer meal.
Delicious comfort food.
Delicious! We put the green beans right in with the other veggies and left out the mushrooms. Next time we will make individual pies!
I was really surprised that the crust turned out so well in the paleo version.