Leftover Carnitas Sweet Potato "Nachos"
with tomatoes / avocados
Smarts: In testing we liked frozen sweet potato waffle fries (Alexia makes a version that was great here), so use those if you can find them and if they meet your diet preferences. If you prefer to use raw sweet potatoes, we've offered instructions for that option as well.
- Onions, medium - 1/2, diced
- Lettuce, romaine - 1 heart, chopped
- Tomatoes, medium - 1, diced
- Avocados - 1, chopped
- Cilantro - 1/4 cup, chopped
- Sweet potato waffle fries, frozen - 20 oz (sub sweet potatoes, sliced into wedges)
- Slow-cooker carnitas (leftover from Monday) - ~3 cups
- Lime juice - 2 tsp
- Salsa, any type - 1/4 cup
- Cook sweet potato waffle fries according to package directions. (Note: If using raw sweet potato wedges, toss wedges in some cooking oil. Spread out onto a sheet pan and season with some salt. Roast 400F / 204C until tender, ~30 minutes.)
- When fries / sweet potatoes are cooked, remove pan from oven and turn on oven's broiler.
- Top fries / sweet potatoes with onions and leftover carnitas. Place under the broiler and broil until carnitas are warmed through, 3 to 4 minutes (watch the nachos closely so they don't burn).
- Finish nachos with a squeeze of lime juice and cilantro. Serve with lettuce, tomatoes, avocados, and salsa at the table so that everyone can customize. Enjoy!
We have made this one many, many times. We swap the lentils for black beans since it is even easier & faster. This is a good crowd-pleasing meal as well - everyone can bring a side!0 Helpful
A good junk meal for a night at home hanging with the family. Wouldn’t make it a regular thing but it was enjoyed by all!0 Helpful
These were delicious! As others have said, not the healthiest but definitely a hit when you want a splurge meal.0 Helpful
Not the healthiest but very tasty and the whole family enjoyed it.0 Helpful
YUM! DIFFERENT FROM TACO CHIPS BUT VERY GOOD!!0 Helpful
Used both normal and sweet potato fries and this was an easy and yummy if not the most healthy way to eat leftover carnitas.0 Helpful