Cumin-Spiced Beef Kebabs
with hummus, pita, cucumbers, and tomatoes
A little shake of cumin gives these easy beef kebabs so much flavor. Served with some storebought hummus and a few chops of cucumber and tomatoes, this dinner comes together so easily. Our paleo version of the hummus and pita will be a roasted cauliflower for those that want a no-carb option. Vegetarians will be making colorful veggie skewers that are packed with just as much flavor if not more!
- NY Strip Steak - 1 1/2 lb
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 2 Tbsp
- Cooking oil - 1 Tbsp + 2 Tbsp
- Cumin - 1/2 tsp + 2/3 tsp
- Skewers - 8 to 12
- Cucumber - 1/2 lb
- Roma tomatoes - 2
- Dill - 1 sprig, chopped
- Lemon - 1/2, juice of
- Sour cream - 1 Tbsp
- Coriander - 1/2 tsp
- Salt - 1/4 tsp
- Pita or flatbread - 4
- Hummus - for serving
- Skewer beef, ~5 cubes / kebab. I typically use 2 skewers per kebab. This makes it easier to flip the kebabs while cooking. You can check out this video to see what I mean (even though it's done with salmon).
- Heat up a grill pan or griddle over medium-high heat. Add 2 tbs. (30 ml) cooking oil and then kebabs to heated oil. Grill on each side for about 1 1/2 to 2 minutes, rotating through all 4 sides. Remove from heat and let rest for ~5 minutes. For more well-done meat, cover with 2 layers of foil when you remove kebabs from the grill pan. They'll cook some more (this is called carryover cooking).
- While meat is resting, chop cucumbers, tomatoes, and dill. Toss with lemon juice, sour cream, and some salt and pepper.
- Mix together 2/3 tsp. (3 ml) cumin, 1/2 tsp. (2.5 ml) coriander, and 1/4 tsp. (1.2 ml) salt. Sprinkle cooked kebabs with seasoning. Toast pita. You can take the meat off the skewers and make wraps with the hummus and vegetables or just enjoy as is!
- Get started on tomorrow's slow cooker recipe. It'll make dinner pre or post Halloween trick or treating such a breeze!
This was so easy and fresh - I want to make this every night of the week.0 Helpful
We made it with elk steaks. Delicious!0 Helpful
So simple and absolutely deliscious!!0 Helpful
Really quick to throw together once you've marinated the meat. Very flavorful for being so simple and felt like a healthy meal. We even forgot to get out the hummus! My husband was annoyed at having to skewer the meat but I thought it was an ingenious way to make sure it cooked evenly on all sides. 1.5 minutes/side with no tenting = medium rare.0 Helpful
This was tasty but seemed more like a lunch or appetizer - we were hungry very soon after eating it.0 Helpful
AMAZING.. tasted like a street vender pita0 Helpful