Chicken with Chard and Mushrooms
and spinach salad
- Vinegar, apple cider - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Maple syrup - 1 tsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 1 tsp
- Oil, cooking - 3 Tbsp
- Spinach, baby - 4 oz
- Pecan halves - 1/2 cup
- Cranberries, dried - 1/2 cup
- Garlic - 2 cloves, chopped
- Onions, medium - 1/2, chopped
- Mushrooms - 16 oz, sliced (look for pre-sliced)
- Chard, any type - 4 leaves, chopped, leaves and stems separate
- Chicken breasts, boneless and skinless - 1 lb
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp
- Paprika - 1/2 tsp
- Red pepper flakes (opt) - 1/4 tsp
- Butter - 3 Tbsp
- Flour, almond - 3 Tbsp
- Stock, any type - 1 cup
- Lemon juice - 1 tsp
- Garlic - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make dressing - Whisk together vinegar, maple syrup, and mustard. Add oil (portion for salad) while whisking. (Can be done up to 4 days ahead)
- Onions / Mushrooms / Chard - Prep as directed and store separately. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Chicken - Tenderize with a fork and season with some salt and pepper. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Heat a large saute pan over medium-high heat. Add first part of oil (portion for chicken) and then chicken to heated oil. Sear on both sides until chicken is cooked through, ~3 minutes on each side. Set chicken aside and return pan to heat.
- Add second part of oil (portion for chicken) and then mushrooms to heated oil. Saute until mushrooms are tender and golden brown, 6 to 7 minutes (note: don't rush this step as cooking the mushrooms until they are dark brown is the key to developing flavor in the sauce). Season with a pinch of salt and stir in paprika and red pepper flakes.
- Add butter and then onions and chard stems to melted butter. Saute until onions are beginning to soften, ~2 minutes more. Add almond flour, chard leaves, and stock to pan and simmer until liquid reduces by about half, ~5 minutes more. Season with some salt and pepper.
- Add chicken back to pan and spoon sauce over top. Finish with lemon juice.
- Just before serving toss spinach, pecans, and cranberries in dressing.
- Serve chicken with mushrooms and chard on top. Enjoy with salad on the side.
This was pretty good. I added chicken meat balls0 Helpful
This was yummy. Made with kale instead of chard and sprinkle fresh parsley over to serve.0 Helpful
It was fine. I added more cheese.0 Helpful
Awesome! Maybe doesn’t even need the sour cream, will try without next time. Didn’t even add salt en pepper. Really really good! Cheap, satisfying vegetarian meal0 Helpful
Made with kale and red wine, no sour cream and liked it. 3 yr old even likes it.0 Helpful
SO VERY TASTY. DEFINITELY A FAVORITE!0 Helpful