Creamy Chard and Mushroom Stroganoff
with egg noodles
A favorite dish from 2017, this vegetarian stroganoff with chard and mushrooms hits all the same creamy, comforting notes as its meat-based counterpart. Served over egg noodles, this is a delicious cool-weather meal that's deeply satisfying and perfect for sharing!
Chard and Mushroom Stroganoff:
- Garlic - 2 cloves , chopped
- Mushrooms - 16 oz , sliced (look for pre-sliced)
- Chard, any type - 4 leaves , chopped, leaves and stems separate
- Noodles, egg - 8 oz (sub any dried pasta)
- Oil, olive - 1 Tbsp
- Butter - 3 Tbsp
- Flour, all-purpose - 2 Tbsp
- Paprika - 1/2 tsp
- Red pepper flakes (opt) - 1/4 tsp
- Wine, white - 1/2 cup (sub any type stock)
- Stock, any type - 3/4 cup
- Sour cream - 1/4 cup (sub plain or Greek yogurt)
- Lemon juice - 1 tsp
- Cheese, parmesan (opt) - 2 oz , grated
- Garlic - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Mushrooms / Chard - Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
Unlock this meal along with hundreds of smart meal plans and never stress about "What's for dinner?" againTry for free
- Bring a large stock pot with salted water to a boil. Add noodles and cook until al dente, tender but not soggy. Drain.
- While pasta cooks, heat a large saute pan over medium-high heat. Add olive oil and then mushrooms to heated oil. Saute until mushrooms have cooked down and are golden brown, 6 to 7 minutes (note: don't rush this step as cooking the mushrooms until they are dark brown is the key to developing flavor in the sauce). Season with some salt and set mushrooms aside. Return pan to heat.
- Reduce heat to medium. Add butter and then chard stems to melted butter. Saute until chard stems are beginning to soften, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add garlic, flour, paprika, and red pepper flakes (if using) and stir until no dry bits of flour remain.
- Stir in chard leaves and white wine and cook until chard leaves are wilted and wine is reduced, ~3 minutes more.
- Add stock and mushrooms to pan and simmer until the sauce reduces by about half, ~5 minutes more.
- Remove pan from heat and let it cool for 1 minute before stirring in sour cream. Season with some salt and pepper.
- Serve noodles with sauce over top. Finish with lemon juice and Parmesan cheese. Enjoy!