Creamy Chard and Mushroom Stroganoffwith egg noodles
- Garlic - 2 cloves, chopped
- Mushrooms - 16 oz, sliced (look for pre-sliced)
- Chard, any type - 4 leaves, chopped, leaves and stems separate
- Noodles, egg - 8 oz (sub any dried pasta)
- Oil, olive - 1 Tbsp
- Butter - 3 Tbsp
- Flour, all-purpose - 2 Tbsp
- Paprika - 1/2 tsp
- Red pepper flakes (opt) - 1/4 tsp
- Wine, white - 1/2 cup (sub any type stock)
- Stock, any type - 3/4 cup
- Sour cream - 1/4 cup (sub plain or Greek yogurt)
- Lemon juice - 1 tsp
- Cheese, parmesan (opt) - 2 oz, grated
- Garlic - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Mushrooms / Chard - Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Bring a large stock pot with salted water to a boil. Add noodles and cook until al dente, tender but not soggy. Drain.
- While pasta cooks, heat a large saute pan over medium-high heat. Add olive oil and then mushrooms to heated oil. Saute until mushrooms have cooked down and are golden brown, 6 to 7 minutes (note: don't rush this step as cooking the mushrooms until they are dark brown is the key to developing flavor in the sauce). Season with some salt and set mushrooms aside. Return pan to heat.
- Reduce heat to medium. Add butter and then chard stems to melted butter. Saute until chard stems are beginning to soften, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add garlic, flour, paprika, and red pepper flakes (if using) and stir until no dry bits of flour remain.
- Stir in chard leaves and white wine and cook until chard leaves are wilted and wine is reduced, ~3 minutes more.
- Add stock and mushrooms to pan and simmer until the sauce reduces by about half, ~5 minutes more.
- Remove pan from heat and let it cool for 1 minute before stirring in sour cream. Season with some salt and pepper.
- Serve noodles with sauce over top. Finish with lemon juice and Parmesan cheese. Enjoy!
This meal has 16 reviews
Made with kale and red wine, no sour cream and liked it. 3 yr old even likes it.
SO VERY TASTY. DEFINITELY A FAVORITE!
Not bad everyone ate it & liked it ok but said they preferred other stroganoff we’ve made. They gave 3.5-4 stars but I gave 3 as has more steps than I prefer if there are alternate recipes to use instead. Use stock & did not include stems.
Mushrooms went bad so subbed sausage instead. Yummy!
I like this, especially with plenty of parmesan, but I'd skip the chard stems if I made it again. The leaves were fine, but the stems just didn't seem to work with the rest of the recipe.
We loved this! Made as is, healthy dose of S&P really kicked up the flavor. First time doing this, but we bought a mini bota box of white wine (~1/2 bottle) which was perfect for this - recipe and 2 glasses of wine!