Creamy Chard and Mushroom Stroganoff
with egg noodles
- Garlic - 2 cloves, chopped
- Mushrooms - 16 oz, sliced (look for pre-sliced)
- Chard, any type - 4 leaves, chopped, leaves and stems separate
- Noodles, egg - 8 oz (sub any dried pasta)
- Oil, olive - 1 Tbsp
- Butter - 3 Tbsp
- Flour, all-purpose - 2 Tbsp
- Paprika - 1/2 tsp
- Red pepper flakes (opt) - 1/4 tsp
- Wine, white - 1/2 cup (sub any type stock)
- Stock, any type - 3/4 cup
- Sour cream - 1/4 cup (sub plain or Greek yogurt)
- Lemon juice - 1 tsp
- Cheese, parmesan (opt) - 2 oz, grated
- Bring a large stock pot with salted water to a boil. Add noodles and cook until al dente, tender but not soggy. Drain.
- While pasta cooks, heat a large saute pan over medium-high heat. Add olive oil and then mushrooms to heated oil. Saute until mushrooms have cooked down and are golden brown, 6 to 7 minutes (note: don't rush this step as cooking the mushrooms until they are dark brown is the key to developing flavor in the sauce). Season with some salt and set mushrooms aside. Return pan to heat.
- Reduce heat to medium. Add butter and then chard stems to melted butter. Saute until chard stems are beginning to soften, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add garlic, flour, paprika, and red pepper flakes (if using) and stir until no dry bits of flour remain.
- Stir in chard leaves and white wine and cook until chard leaves are wilted and wine is reduced, ~3 minutes more.
- Add stock and mushrooms to pan and simmer until the sauce reduces by about half, ~5 minutes more.
- Remove pan from heat and let it cool for 1 minute before stirring in sour cream. Season with some salt and pepper.
- Serve noodles with sauce over top. Finish with lemon juice and Parmesan cheese. Enjoy!
This was pretty good. I added chicken meat balls0 Helpful
This was yummy. Made with kale instead of chard and sprinkle fresh parsley over to serve.0 Helpful
It was fine. I added more cheese.0 Helpful
Awesome! Maybe doesn’t even need the sour cream, will try without next time. Didn’t even add salt en pepper. Really really good! Cheap, satisfying vegetarian meal0 Helpful
Made with kale and red wine, no sour cream and liked it. 3 yr old even likes it.0 Helpful
SO VERY TASTY. DEFINITELY A FAVORITE!0 Helpful