Pan-Seared Chicken with Mushrooms
and spinach salad with dried cranberries
- Garlic - 3 cloves, chopped
- Mushrooms, any button - 8 oz, sliced (look for pre-sliced)
- Chicken breasts, boneless and skinless - 1 lb
- Eggs - 2
- Almond flour / meal - 1/2 cup
- Thyme, dried - 1/2 tsp
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Black pepper - 1/4 tsp
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp
- Arrowroot powder - 1 tsp
- Stock, any type - 1 1/2 cups
- Red pepper flakes (opt) - 1/4 tsp
- Vinegar, balsamic - 1 Tbsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 2 tsp
- Honey - 1 tsp
- Oil, olive - 2 1/2 Tbsp
- Spinach, baby - 6 oz (sub any salad greens)
- Cranberries, dried - 1/4 cup
- Almonds, sliced - 1/4 cup
- Garlic - (If prepping right before cooking, get oven heating before continuing with prep) Chop garlic. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make vinaigrette - Whisk together vinegar, mustard, and honey. Add olive oil while whisking. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Mushrooms - Slice mushrooms if not pre-sliced. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Chicken - Halve chicken. Season with some salt and pepper. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Prepare breading stations - In one shallow dish, whisk eggs. In another shallow dish, combine almond flour / meal with thyme, salt, and pepper.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat. Add first part of cooking oil and then mushrooms. Saute until mushrooms are golden brown and tender, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Stir in garlic, arrowroot powder, and stock. Simmer until sauce thickens, 2 to 3 minutes. Season with some salt and pepper. Set sauce aside and wipe out pan.
- Return pan to medium-high heat and add second part of cooking oil. Working with one piece of chicken at a time (do this in batches if it won’t all fit at once), dip chicken in eggs and then in almond flour / meal.
- Place chicken in heated oil and cook on both sides until cooked through, 5 to 7 minutes total.
- Transfer chicken to a serving plate and pour sauce over top. Top with red pepper flakes if you’d like.
- Toss together spinach, dried cranberries, and almonds. Add vinaigrette until dressed to your liking.
- Serve chicken with salad on the side. Enjoy!
We used pillsbury pizza dough and the timing was less than what cooksmarts lists above.0 Helpful
This was great, would definitely make it again. I wanted to cut the calories a bit, so instead of making the side salad we increased the mushrooms and sauteed spinach with them to up the veggie content and it worked really well.0 Helpful
This was delicious. I had the time in the morning so I made the pizza dough too. Worth it.0 Helpful
We loved this recipe! We used two frozen cauliflower crusts from Trader Joe’s. Worked wonderfully and do tasty!0 Helpful
This was excellent. I used feta cheese instead of goat cheese and my whole family loved it. For the salad I used kale because that is what I had on hand and YUM!!! Loved the salad dressing. Will definitely be making this meal again.0 Helpful
I loved this. Instead of the salad, I added spinach to the mushrooms as they were cooking, which made the toppings a little soupy, but it was delicious despite that.0 Helpful