Kale and Goat Cheese Frittata
with roasted beets / sweet potatoes
- Sweet potatoes - 1 lb, peeled and cubed
- Beets - 4
- Foil - for cooking
- Oil, olive - 1 Tbsp
- Shallots - 2 cloves, chopped
- Kale, any type - 4 oz, stems removed; chopped (sub baby kale)
- Eggs - 6
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Black pepper - 1/4 tsp
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Cheese, goat - 4 oz (sub feta)
- Sweet potatoes / Shallots - (If prepping right before cooking, get oven heating before continuing with prep.) Prep as directed and store separately. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Kale - Remove stems and chop leaves. (Skip this step if using baby kale.) (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Eggs - Whisk eggs with salt and pepper.
- Heat oven to 425F / 218C.
- Scrub and trim ends off beets, place into a baking dish, and fill with about 1/2” / 1.3 cm of water. Cover with foil and roast for 45 to 60 minutes, depending on size of beets.
- When beets are about halfway through cooking, toss sweet potatoes with olive oil and some salt. Spread out onto a sheet pan and roast until tender, 25 to 30 minutes.
- Heat a 10.5” to 12” / 26 cm to 30 cm skillet over medium-high heat. Add cooking oil and then shallots. Saute until shallots are tender, ~2 minutes. Add kale and saute until wilted, 1 to 3 minutes more.
- Pour in eggs and crumble goat cheese over top. Stir until ingredients are all mixed through and then transfer to the oven.
- Bake frittata for 20 to 25 minutes until eggs are set and inserted knife comes out cleanly.
- When beets are tender, peel skin off the side of beets with a spoon and chop into bite-sized pieces.
- Toss beets with sweet potatoes and season with some salt and pepper.
- Slice frittata. Serve with sweet potatoes and beets on the side. Enjoy!
Dressing was great! Cooked beets in Instant Pot for 20m/10NPR. Worked beautifully.0 Helpful
Really good! I did Brussels sprouts instead of beets - the roasted potatoes and Brussels sprouts together, plus the goat cheese and kale was SO good. My chicken just turned out a little blah. I'm definitely going to try this again and see if I can get the chicken up to par with the rest of it.0 Helpful
I made the salad (without chicken) as a side because we received some beets in our CSA. I'd never cooked beets before--it was really easy! Enjoyed trying something new.0 Helpful
My family LOVED this meal! We will make again for sure.0 Helpful
I’ve never made a frittata before, but now I have! It’s so tasty! The pan I had made it too thin, so I made a quick decision and transferred it to a non-stick bread pan that I had. It turned out the perfect thickness! I love how Cooksmarts has taught me to think and improvise! The beets and potatoes took me a long time to make, so next time I’ll probably just skip them. They’re delicious but good to make on a weekend instead.0 Helpful
My husband commented that it was his new favorite salad. It was just as good or even better than what you can get in a restaurant! It's a new favorite recipe!0 Helpful