Chicken and Kale Saladwith goat cheese / roasted beets / sweet potatoes
Packed with protein, hearty greens, and roasted beets and sweet potatoes, this salad is both filling and beautiful! The balsamic-apple cider vinaigrette gives the salad the perfect taste of fall.
Smarts:If you'd like softer kale for this salad, be sure to "massage" the leaves with vinaigrette as directed below.
- Vinegar, balsamic - 2 Tbsp
- Vinegar, apple cider - 1 Tbsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 2 tsp
- Maple syrup - 1 Tbsp
- Oil, cooking - 1/4 cup
- Sweet potatoes - 1 lb, peeled and cubed
- Beets - 4
- Foil - for cooking
- Oil, olive - 1 Tbsp
- Kale, any type - 8 oz, stems removed; chopped (sub baby kale)
- Chicken breast tenders - 1 1/4 lbs (sub boneless, skinless chicken breast, sliced into strips)
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Cheese, goat - 4 oz (sub feta)
- Almonds, sliced - 2 oz
- Sweet potatoes - Peel and cube. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make vinaigrette - Whisk together balsamic vinegar, apple cider vinegar, mustard, maple syrup, and cooking oil (portion for vinaigrette). Season to taste with some salt and pepper. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Roast beets and sweet potatoes - Heat oven to 400F / 204C. Scrub and trim ends off beets. Place beets into a baking dish and fill with about 1/2” / 1.3 cm of water. Cover with foil and roast for 45 to 60 minutes, depending on size of beets. Toss sweet potatoes with olive oil and some salt. Spread out onto a sheet pan and roast until tender, 25 to 35 minutes. Store beets and sweet potatoes separately. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Kale - Remove stems and chop leaves. (Skip this step if using baby kale.) (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Chicken - Tenderize with a fork and season with some salt and pepper. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Peel beets - Peel skin off the side of beets with a spoon and chop into bite-sized pieces.
- Toss kale with 1 Tbsp / 15 mL of vinaigrette (for 4 servings; adjust if customizing). Rub the leaves between your hands if you’d like the kale more tender (this is often referred to as “massaging” the kale). Set aside while cooking chicken.
- Heat a skillet with cooking oil (portion for salad) over medium-high heat. Add chicken and cook on all sides until golden brown and cooked through, 5 to 7 minutes total.
- Toss kale with beets and sweet potatoes. Divide between serving bowls.
- Crumble goat cheese over top and finish with chicken and almonds. Add remaining dressing to salads until dressed to your liking. Enjoy!
This meal has 21 reviews
I substituted gardein vegetarian chicken and treelike vegan cheese. And I bought the wrong potatoe (I still don’t know what kind I bought but it was white inside and sweet). It was a total train wreck and still delicious. Whatever.
Loved this! Made everything except the dressing ahead of time so made it super easy and quick to come together. Agree with other reviews - dressing was really good and loved the flavor and texture combos!!
Substituted hard-boiled eggs for the chicken to make it vegetarian and used canned beets, because I hate dealing with the mess of fresh ones. This was so good. I love how the beets complement the goat cheese and the sweet potatoes provide savory goodness against the sweet dressing. I ate two servings. No shame.
My ultimate favorite combo that I order at a nice restaurant now made very easy (and still delicious) to have at home! Love serving this with the roasted beets/veggies warm and having soft goat cheese at room temp. We actually used sliced canned beets and drained them and just threw them in with the sweet potatoes, roasting all for about 25 min at same 400 F. Turned out just fine and was a lot less messy/time:).
I liked it, but my husband and kids weren't crazy about the beets :(
I think I could do without the beets, but others this was very good.