Chicken and Kale Saladwith goat cheese / roasted beets / sweet potatoes
Packed with protein, hearty greens, and roasted beets and sweet potatoes, this salad is both filling and beautiful! The balsamic-apple cider vinaigrette gives the salad the perfect taste of fall.
Smarts:If you'd like softer kale for this salad, be sure to "massage" the leaves with vinaigrette as directed below.
- Vinegar, balsamic - 2 Tbsp
- Vinegar, apple cider - 1 Tbsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 2 tsp
- Maple syrup - 1 Tbsp
- Oil, cooking - 1/4 cup
- Sweet potatoes - 1 lb, peeled and cubed
- Beets - 4
- Foil - for cooking
- Oil, olive - 1 Tbsp
- Kale, any type - 8 oz, stems removed; chopped (sub baby kale)
- Chicken breast tenders - 1 1/4 lbs (sub boneless, skinless chicken breast, sliced into strips)
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Cheese, goat - 4 oz (sub feta)
- Almonds, sliced - 2 oz
- Sweet potatoes - Peel and cube. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make vinaigrette - Whisk together balsamic vinegar, apple cider vinegar, mustard, maple syrup, and cooking oil (portion for vinaigrette). Season to taste with some salt and pepper. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Roast beets and sweet potatoes - Heat oven to 400F / 204C. Scrub and trim ends off beets. Place beets into a baking dish and fill with about 1/2” / 1.3 cm of water. Cover with foil and roast for 45 to 60 minutes, depending on size of beets. Toss sweet potatoes with olive oil and some salt. Spread out onto a sheet pan and roast until tender, 25 to 35 minutes. Store beets and sweet potatoes separately. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Kale - Remove stems and chop leaves. (Skip this step if using baby kale.) (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Chicken - Tenderize with a fork and season with some salt and pepper. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Peel beets - Peel skin off the side of beets with a spoon and chop into bite-sized pieces.
- Toss kale with 1 Tbsp / 15 mL of vinaigrette (for 4 servings; adjust if customizing). Rub the leaves between your hands if you’d like the kale more tender (this is often referred to as “massaging” the kale). Set aside while cooking chicken.
- Heat a skillet with cooking oil (portion for salad) over medium-high heat. Add chicken and cook on all sides until golden brown and cooked through, 5 to 7 minutes total.
- Toss kale with beets and sweet potatoes. Divide between serving bowls.
- Crumble goat cheese over top and finish with chicken and almonds. Add remaining dressing to salads until dressed to your liking. Enjoy!
This meal has 21 reviews
Skipped the beets, wish I had added dried cranberries.
Really good but I think I just don't love Kale. I also think I may like the beets and potatoes cubed smaller.
Our Kroger/Fred Meyer sells Simply Beets in the vegetable department. They are cooked and peeled. A good time saver!
I thought I didn't like beets, but I loved this. The combination of different flavors came together so well. The goat cheese and the beets were delicious together. Very easy to make especially with early prep of the beets and sweet potatoes.
We liked it, although we weren't blown away by it. We found peeling the beets with spoons absurdly difficult and inconvenient, not sure if we did something wrong or what. We ended up just using a knife to peel them. That being said, we did really love the beets. Even roasted so simply, they were delicious! We love it when cooksmarts helps us integrate different types of seasonal veggies into our diets, especially when we aren't sure where to begin!
Probably the best tasting pure healthy thing we've had in a long time! We roasted the chicken breast instead of frying it though, just because the oven was already on for the veggies.