Meatballs in Tomato Saucewith cauliflower / green beans
Meatballs are a budget friendly way to enjoy comfort food on a busy weeknight! Served with a flavorful tomato sauce and cauliflower and green beans on the side, this meal has everything you need for a little midweek pick-me-up.
- Shallots - 1 bulb, diced
- Garlic - 2 cloves, chopped
- Thyme leaves - 1 tsp, leaves torn
- Oil, olive - 1 Tbsp
- Paprika - 1/4 tsp
- Tomatoes, crushed (28 oz / 794 g) - 1 can
- Beef, ground - 1 lb
- Eggs - 1
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Oregano, dried - 1/2 tsp
- Black pepper - 1/4 tsp
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Cauliflower - 12 oz, chopped
- Green beans, fresh or frozen - 12 oz, chopped into 1” / 2.5 cm pieces
- Butter - 1 Tbsp
- Cauliflower / Green beans / Shallots / Garlic / Thyme - Prep as directed. Store cauliflower, green beans, and shallots each in their own container. Combine garlic and thyme in another container. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make tomato sauce - (If prepping right before cooking, get water for cauliflower / green beans boiling before continuing with prep.) Heat a saucepan with olive oil over medium heat. Add shallots and saute until soft, 2 to 3 minutes. Add garlic, thyme, and paprika and saute for 1 minute. Pour tomatoes over top and simmer for 5 minutes. Season with some salt and pepper. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Form meatballs - Combine beef, eggs, salt, oregano, and black pepper. Form into 1” / 2.5 cm wide meatballs. You should have ~4 meatballs per serving. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Bring a large stock pot of salted water to a boil.
- While water is coming to a boil, heat a skillet with cooking oil over medium-high heat. Add meatballs and saute on all sides until golden brown, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Pour tomato sauce around meatballs and cover. Cook, covered, until meatballs are cooked through, 12 to 15 minutes.
- While meatballs cook, return to boiling water. Add cauliflower florets and boil, uncovered, for 2 minutes (the cauliflower will take a few minutes longer than the green beans). Add green beans and boil both together until tender, 4 to 6 minutes more.
- Drain cauliflower and green beans.
- Toss cauliflower and green beans with butter. Season generously with some salt and pepper.
- Serve meatballs and sauce with cauliflower and green beans on the side. Enjoy!
This meal has 35 reviews
Testy meatballs! The potatoes and green beans were delicious!
My husband and i enjoyed this combination. The only thing i didnt like was cooking the meatballs on the stove as i feel the oven is much easier and will free up cooking space.
I was not impressed with this meal as written. I ended up doctoring up the sauce a good bit - adding salt, pepper, Italian and creole seasonings as well as garlic and onion powder. I didn't have any breadcrumbs so I left those out of the meatballs, but I did add 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce. I also decided to roast the potatoes with salt, pepper and garlic and added the same to the sautéed green beans because the recipe as written seemed very bland. Overall though I liked the components of the meal and would make it again using the adjustments I made.
Did not enjoy this match up at all!
Boiled green beans and cauliflower was so bland and boring. Meatballs were nothing to write home about and I hadn’t even cleaned the kitchen and the kids were cruising for snacks because they were still hungry.
Added some Italian seasoning to jazz up the taste a little. Different and the whole family enjoyed it.