Meatballs in Tomato Saucewith cauliflower / green beans
Meatballs are a budget friendly way to enjoy comfort food on a busy weeknight! Served with a flavorful tomato sauce and cauliflower and green beans on the side, this meal has everything you need for a little midweek pick-me-up.
- Shallots - 1 bulb, diced
- Garlic - 2 cloves, chopped
- Thyme leaves - 1 tsp, leaves torn
- Oil, olive - 1 Tbsp
- Paprika - 1/4 tsp
- Tomatoes, crushed (28 oz / 794 g) - 1 can
- Beef, ground - 1 lb
- Eggs - 1
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Oregano, dried - 1/2 tsp
- Black pepper - 1/4 tsp
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Cauliflower - 12 oz, chopped
- Green beans, fresh or frozen - 12 oz, chopped into 1” / 2.5 cm pieces
- Butter - 1 Tbsp
- Cauliflower / Green beans / Shallots / Garlic / Thyme - Prep as directed. Store cauliflower, green beans, and shallots each in their own container. Combine garlic and thyme in another container. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make tomato sauce - (If prepping right before cooking, get water for cauliflower / green beans boiling before continuing with prep.) Heat a saucepan with olive oil over medium heat. Add shallots and saute until soft, 2 to 3 minutes. Add garlic, thyme, and paprika and saute for 1 minute. Pour tomatoes over top and simmer for 5 minutes. Season with some salt and pepper. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Form meatballs - Combine beef, eggs, salt, oregano, and black pepper. Form into 1” / 2.5 cm wide meatballs. You should have ~4 meatballs per serving. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Bring a large stock pot of salted water to a boil.
- While water is coming to a boil, heat a skillet with cooking oil over medium-high heat. Add meatballs and saute on all sides until golden brown, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Pour tomato sauce around meatballs and cover. Cook, covered, until meatballs are cooked through, 12 to 15 minutes.
- While meatballs cook, return to boiling water. Add cauliflower florets and boil, uncovered, for 2 minutes (the cauliflower will take a few minutes longer than the green beans). Add green beans and boil both together until tender, 4 to 6 minutes more.
- Drain cauliflower and green beans.
- Toss cauliflower and green beans with butter. Season generously with some salt and pepper.
- Serve meatballs and sauce with cauliflower and green beans on the side. Enjoy!
This meal has 35 reviews
Tender, and very flavorful!
I think this would have been more special if the vegetarians had a ball form too.
Super good and perfect amount of sauce!
SO GOOD! The meatballs were very delicate, and would fall apart easily, but that did not take away from their flavour! However we dirtied about a million dishes for this meal with the homemade marinara, rice, etc. So it maybe is more of a weekend meal than weekday for us.
I liked this one a lot- my husband thought it was just ok. I added 1/2tsp Italian seasoning to the meatballs. After I added the sauce (from a jar - not home made), I didn't touch the meatballs - I think that's why they didn't fall apart.
Made it but so disappointed the meatballs completely fell apart!