Chard, Carrot, and Potato Hash
with fried eggs / mixed greens pear salad
This colorful and veggie-packed hash is so quick to make and flavorful, we had to bring it back from when it was featured in January 2017! Top with fried eggs for protein and enjoy with refreshing pear and mixed greens salad for a variety of textures. Smarts: Pre-cook potatoes in the microwave and saute them separately from the rest of the vegetables so that cooking comes together quickly and all the veggies get tender at the same time. Aim to crisp up the exterior of the potatoes (golden crust), which will add more deliciousness to the hash.
Mixed Greens Pear Salad:
- Shallots - 1 clove , diced
- Vinegar, red or white wine - 1 Tbsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 1 tsp
- Honey - 1 tsp
- Oil, olive - 2 Tbsp
- Pears, any variety - 1 , sliced
- Mixed greens - 4 oz
Chard, Carrot and Potato Hash:
- Carrots - 12 oz , chopped
- Onions, medium and red - 1/2 , chopped
- Chard, any type - 4 leaves , chopped, leaves and stems separate
- Potatoes, russet - 1 lb , cubed (sub sweet potatoes)
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp
- Eggs - 8
- Shallots - Dice shallots. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Carrots / Onions / Chard - Prep as directed. Store carrots, onions, and chard stems in one container. Store chard leaves separately. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Potatoes - Peel and cube. Soak in water if not using right away to prevent them from turning brown.
- Whisk together shallots, wine vinegar, mustard, and honey. Add olive oil while whisking. Slice pears and combine them with mixed greens (wait to toss salad with vinaigrette until right before serving).
- Place potatoes in a microwave-safe bowl. Cover with wet paper towel and microwave on high until nearly tender, ~4 minutes. (You can also boil the potatoes in a stockpot of water until tender, 8 to 10 minutes.)
- While potatoes are pre-cooking, heat a large skillet with the first part of cooking oil over medium-high heat. Add carrots, onions, and chard stems with a pinch of salt to oil and saute until carrots are tender, 5 to 6 minutes. Set aside and return pan to heat.
- Add second part of cooking oil to pan and then pre-cooked potatoes and some salt. Saute until potatoes are tender and golden brown on the outside. Stir in carrots, onions, chard stems, and chard leaves. Stir to combine and continue cooking until chard leaves are wilted, ~1 minute more.
- While hash finishes cooking, place a nonstick pan over medium heat and add third part of cooking oil. Crack eggs into oil and fry to desired doneness (cook on one side for sunny-side up or flip and cook on both sides).
- Just before serving, toss salad with vinaigrette. Top hash with fried eggs and season with some salt and pepper. (Add some hot sauce if you'd like.) Serve hash with salad on the side. Enjoy!