Meatloaf with Chard and Carrots
and mixed greens pear salad
Chard and carrots add moisture to this community-favorite meatloaf recipe, which we're bringing back from January 2017. Baking the meatloaf in muffin tins makes it easy to scale up or down the serving sizes and faster to cook. Smarts: Muffin-tin sized meatloaf is also perfect for freezing, so you can make more for future dinners.
Mixed Greens Pear Salad:
- Shallots - 1 clove , diced
- Vinegar, red or white wine - 1 Tbsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 1 tsp
- Honey - 1 tsp
- Oil, olive - 2 Tbsp
- Pears, any variety - 1 , sliced
- Mixed greens - 4 oz
Meatloaf with Chard and Carrots:
- Tomato paste - 1/4 cup
- Water - 2 tsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 1 tsp
- Vinegar, balsamic - 2 tsp
- Garlic - 2 cloves
- Onions, medium and red - 1/2 , chopped
- Chard, any type - 2 leaves , chopped
- Carrots, pre-shredded - 1 cup
- Eggs - 1
- Butter - 1 Tbsp
- Beef, ground (chuck or 85% lean) - 1 lb
- Bragg's / coconut aminos - 1 tsp
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Black pepper - 1/2 tsp
- Shallots - Dice shallots. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make topping - Whisk together tomato paste, water, mustard, and balsamic vinegar. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Prep vegetables for meatloaf - (If preparing right before cooking, turn on the oven before returning to this step.) Peel garlic. Chop onions and chard leaves into large pieces and combine with carrots and garlic in the bowl of a food processor. Pulse until onions are in small pea-sized pieces. (Alternatively, you can chop the vegetables by hand.) (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Whisk eggs.
- Heat oven to 350F / 177C degrees.
- Spray a muffin tin with nonstick cooking spray or brush with some oil.
- While oven heats, heat a saute pan over medium-high heat. Add butter and then onions, chard, carrots, and garlic with a pinch of salt and saute until tender, ~3 minutes.
- Combine sauteed vegetables with beef, eggs, aminos, salt, and pepper. Mix with your hands or a wooden spoon just until ingredients are roughly combined (don't overmix as that can result in a tougher meatloaf). Divide meatloaf between spaces in the muffin tin, leaving about 1/2" / 1.3 cm of space in the top. Spread tomato topping over the meatloaf.
- Bake meatloaf until a thermometer inserted in the middle registers 155F / 68C degrees, 18 to 22 minutes. Let meatloaf rest for 5 minutes at room temperature before serving.
- While meatloaf rests, whisk together shallots, wine vinegar, mustard, and honey. Add oil while whisking. Slice pears. Toss together vinaigrette, pears, and mixed greens just before serving.
- Serve meatloaf with salad on the side. Enjoy!