Meatloaf with Chard and Carrots
and mixed greens pear salad
- Shallots - 1 clove, diced
- Vinegar, red or white wine - 1 Tbsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 1 tsp
- Honey - 1 tsp
- Oil, olive - 2 Tbsp
- Pears, any variety - 1, sliced
- Mixed greens - 4 oz
- Ketchup - 1/2 cup
- Mustard, Dijon - 1 tsp
- Vinegar, balsamic - 2 tsp
- Garlic - 2 cloves
- Onions, medium and red - 1/2, chopped
- Chard, any type - 2 leaves, chopped
- Carrots, pre-shredded - 1 cup
- Eggs - 1
- Butter - 1 Tbsp
- Panko breadcrumbs - 1/4 cup
- Beef, ground (chuck or 85% lean) - 1 lb
- Worcestershire sauce (opt) - 1 tsp (sub soy sauce)
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Black pepper - 1/2 tsp
- Shallots - Dice shallots. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make ketchup topping - Whisk together ketchup, mustard, and balsamic vinegar. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Prep vegetables for meatloaf - (If preparing right before cooking, turn on the oven before returning to this step.) Peel garlic. Chop onions and chard leaves into large pieces and combine with carrots and garlic in the bowl of a food processor. Pulse until onions are in small pea-sized pieces. (Alternatively, you can chop the vegetables by hand.) (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Whisk eggs.
- Heat oven to 350F / 177C degrees.
- Spray a muffin tin with nonstick cooking spray or brush with some oil.
- While oven heats, heat a saute pan over medium-high heat. Add butter and then onions, chard, carrots, and garlic with a pinch of salt and saute until tender, ~3 minutes.
- Combine sauteed vegetables with panko, beef, eggs, Worcestershire sauce, salt, and pepper. Mix with your hands or a wooden spoon just until ingredients are roughly combined (don't overmix as that can result in a tougher meatloaf). Divide meatloaf between spaces in the muffin tin, leaving about 1/2" / 1.3 cm of space in the top. Spread ketchup topping over the meatloaf.
- Bake meatloaf until a thermometer inserted in the middle registers 155F / 68C degrees, 18 to 22 minutes. Let meatloaf rest for 5 minutes at room temperature before serving.
- While meatloaf rests, whisk together shallots, wine vinegar, mustard, and honey. Add oil while whisking. Slice pears. Toss together vinaigrette, pears, and mixed greens just before serving.
- Serve meatloaf with salad on the side. Enjoy!
This is amazing! It’s so tender, and so easy to make!0 Helpful
While this meatloaf was cooking, my husband came down from his office early, raving about how good the kitchen smelled! Like others, I skipped the saute step, and even mixed the topping directly into the meatballs. It was all delicious!0 Helpful
This was very good and easy to make.0 Helpful
Love the added veggies!0 Helpful
Great! I pulsed the veggies until they were smaller than pea-sized and skipped the saute step. They cooked just fine. Also added brown sugar to the ketchup sauce.0 Helpful
Love the idea of the veggies in the meatloaf — they added a yummy texture.0 Helpful