[Leftover] Butternut Squash Mac and Cheese
with roasted broccoli
Smarts: If you’re making Wednesday’s baked potato bar, you can roast the broccoli for that night at the same time as you roast the broccoli for this meal.
- Cheese, cheddar - 6 oz, grated
- Chives - 2 tsp, chopped
- Pasta, any fun shape like shells, fusilli, or macaroni - 12 oz
- Butter - 2 Tbsp
- Flour - 3 Tbsp
- Milk - 1 cup
- Salt - 1/4 tsp
- Garlic powder - 1/4 tsp
- Leftover Butternut Squash Soup (from Monday) - 1 cup
- Shallots - 2 cloves, diced
- Broccoli - 1 lb, chopped
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Lemon juice - 2 tsp
- Cheese / Shallots / Broccoli - (If prepping right before cooking, get oven heating before continuing with prep.) Prep as directed. If making Wednesday night’s meal, chop the broccoli for Wednesday at the same time. Store cheese in one container. Combine shallots and broccoli in another container. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Chives - Chop chives.
- Heat oven to 400F / 204C degrees.
- Bring a large stock pot of salted water to a boil.
- Toss broccoli and shallots with oil and season with some salt. (You can add in broccoli for Wednesday night if you’d like it roasted as well.) Spread out on a sheet pan. Roast until broccoli is tender and starting to brown in spots, shaking the pan halfway through cooking, ~25 minutes.
- When water is boiling, boil pasta according to package directions. Drain.
- Meanwhile, heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add butter. When butter melts, add flour and stir until no dry spots of flour remain.
- Slowly pour milk over butter / flour mixture while whisking.
- Bring to a simmer, whisking continuously, until mixture thickens slightly, 3 to 4 minutes. (Note: be careful not to let the milk simmer or sit for long without whisking or it may burn on the bottom of the pan.)
- Reduce heat under the milk to low and start adding cheese a bit at a time, whisking between each addition. Stir in salt and garlic powder. Continue heating just until all of the cheese is melted and creamy. Remove from heat.
- Combine pasta, leftover butternut squash soup, and cheese sauce. Taste and add more salt or garlic powder if you’d like.
- Squeeze lemon juice over broccoli (if you added broccoli for Wednesday night, reserve it first). Sprinkle chives over mac and cheese. Enjoy!
Used soy milk and cashew "cheese" so this would be vegan. Also sautéed the shallots in the butter before adding the flour rather than roasting them with the broccoli.0 Helpful
This is delicious, and a nice way to sneak in the veggies!0 Helpful
One of my kid's favorites. I found a carton of butternut squash soup at Aldi to make it come together even faster.0 Helpful
Great. Very fast to make especially with the Butternut squash soup already made. Some modifications I made: I added a cup of cooked red lentils (more protein), and used mostly gruyere instead of cheddar.0 Helpful
This is not bad but I didn't think the cheese sauce had much flavor. It needs something...maybe extra sharp cheddar or a stronger butternut flavor. I have a healthier pumpkin pasta recipe I prefer instead.0 Helpful
Definitely have all the mac n cheese ingredients ready to go -- the sauce-making goes quickly! It was nerve-racking, but turned out well. The mac n cheese is yummy! I added 1 1/2 cups of soup.0 Helpful