Butternut Squash Mac and Cheesewith roasted broccoli
This creamy mac and cheese recipe is made easy, quick, and healthy by stirring in leftover pureed butternut squash soup. A side of simple roasted broccoli makes this meal come together quickly on a busy weeknight.
Smarts: If you’re making Wednesday’s baked potato bar, you can roast the broccoli for that night at the same time as you roast the broccoli for this meal.
- Cheese, cheddar - 6 oz, grated
- Chives - 2 tsp, chopped
- Pasta, any fun shape like shells, fusilli, or macaroni - 12 oz
- Butter - 2 Tbsp
- Flour - 3 Tbsp
- Milk - 1 cup
- Salt - 1/4 tsp
- Garlic powder - 1/4 tsp
- Leftover Butternut Squash Soup (from Monday) - 1 cup
- Shallots - 2 cloves, diced
- Broccoli - 1 lb, chopped
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Lemon juice - 2 tsp
- Cheese / Shallots / Broccoli - (If prepping right before cooking, get oven heating before continuing with prep.) Prep as directed. If making Wednesday night’s meal, chop the broccoli for Wednesday at the same time. Store cheese in one container. Combine shallots and broccoli in another container. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Chives - Chop chives.
- Heat oven to 400F / 204C degrees.
- Bring a large stock pot of salted water to a boil.
- Toss broccoli and shallots with oil and season with some salt. (You can add in broccoli for Wednesday night if you’d like it roasted as well.) Spread out on a sheet pan. Roast until broccoli is tender and starting to brown in spots, shaking the pan halfway through cooking, ~25 minutes.
- When water is boiling, boil pasta according to package directions. Drain.
- Meanwhile, heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add butter. When butter melts, add flour and stir until no dry spots of flour remain.
- Slowly pour milk over butter / flour mixture while whisking.
- Bring to a simmer, whisking continuously, until mixture thickens slightly, 3 to 4 minutes. (Note: be careful not to let the milk simmer or sit for long without whisking or it may burn on the bottom of the pan.)
- Reduce heat under the milk to low and start adding cheese a bit at a time, whisking between each addition. Stir in salt and garlic powder. Continue heating just until all of the cheese is melted and creamy. Remove from heat.
- Combine pasta, leftover butternut squash soup, and cheese sauce. Taste and add more salt or garlic powder if you’d like.
- Squeeze lemon juice over broccoli (if you added broccoli for Wednesday night, reserve it first). Sprinkle chives over mac and cheese. Enjoy!
This meal has 35 reviews
Great comfort food!
Yummy and easy Mac and cheese.
Yummy! Next time I'll probably skip the shallots and just put the roasted broccoli directly into the mac n cheese.
Delicious, and my daughter loved it!
This was great, and the leftovers reheated well for lunches - a perfect fall comfort food!
It was good but I prefer a baked Mac and cheese to a stove Top one. Still, the soup added a lot!