Lasagna Soupwith lentils / ricotta / mushrooms / spinach
Classic lasagna is time-consuming to make, but all those same ingredients can be made into soup in a fraction of the time! A dollop of ricotta cheese served on top gives this dish the authentic feel of the original.
Smarts: Lasagna noodles are broken up and stirred into the soup at the end of cooking. Watch them closely or boil them separately to keep them from over-cooking and getting soggy.
- Onions, medium - 1, diced
- Garlic - 4 cloves, chopped
- Lasagna noodles - 6 oz, broken into pieces
- Mushrooms, any button - 8 oz, sliced (look for pre-sliced)
- Lentils, pre-cooked - 1 1/2 cups (look for vacuum-packed lentils in the produce section or use canned)
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Tomato paste - 2 Tbsp
- Oregano, dried - 1 tsp
- Basil, dried - 1/2 tsp
- Italian seasoning - 1/2 tsp
- Red pepper flakes (opt) - 1/2 tsp
- Stock, any type - 4 cups
- Tomatoes, diced and preferably fire-roasted (14 oz / 397 g) - 1 can
- Bay leaves - 2
- Spinach, baby - 5 oz
- Cheese, ricotta - 1/4 cup
- Cheese, parmesan (opt) - 2 oz, grated
- Onions / Garlic / Lasagna noodles - Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Mushrooms - Slice mushrooms. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Lentils - If using canned lentils, drain and rinse.
- Heat a Dutch oven with oil over medium heat. Stir in onions, garlic, and mushrooms and cook for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Stir in tomato paste, oregano, basil, Italian seasoning, and red pepper flakes and saute until fragrant, ~1 minute more.
- Pour stock and tomatoes (including liquid) over mushrooms and aromatics. Add bay leaves. Bring to a simmer.
- Stir lasagna noodles into soup and cover.
- Simmer soup just until lasagna noodles are al dente, tender but still with some bite. This should take 10 to 15 minutes, but watch closely to prevent over-cooking the noodles. In the last minute of cooking, stir in lentils and spinach leaves.
- Taste soup and season with some salt and pepper.
- Divide soup between serving bowls. Top each bowl with a spoonful of ricotta cheese and some Parmesan cheese (if using). Enjoy!
This meal has 55 reviews
Really easy to make and it was tasty! Accidentally bought non made lentils, so I threw them in when I put the noodles in. I can see how using different noodles would make the soup easier to eat. Will definitely make again.
Came together easily- would repeat and change noodles for consistency.
Loved this soup! Easy and delicious. Used mini farfalle instead of lasagna noodles to skip the extra step of breaking up the pasta, and that worked great.
Made both vegetarian and original soups, just added the different ingredients in the end. Both great! Soup had depth and rich flavor. Minimal clean up was a plus!
Great soup! We used campanelle pasta, which was great. Used full amount of stock.
LOVE this soup! I made a large batch and threw all the individual portions into the freezer for later meals.