Italian Sausage and Vegetable Soup
with mushrooms / spinach
- Onions, medium - 1, diced
- Carrots - 8 oz, chopped
- Garlic - 4 cloves, chopped
- Mushrooms, any button - 8 oz, sliced (look for pre-sliced)
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Sausage, Italian and raw (use mild or spicy) - 12 oz
- Tomato paste - 2 Tbsp
- Oregano, dried - 1 tsp
- Basil, dried - 1/2 tsp
- Italian seasoning - 1/2 tsp
- Red pepper flakes (opt) - 1/2 tsp
- Stock, any type - 3 cups
- Tomatoes, diced and preferably fire-roasted (14 oz / 397 g) - 1 can
- Bay leaves - 2
- Spinach, baby - 5 oz
- Heat a Dutch oven with oil over medium heat. Stir in onions, carrots, garlic, and mushrooms and cook for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add sausage and saute until sausage is breaking apart and nearly cooked through, 4 to 6 minutes.
- Stir in tomato paste, oregano, basil, Italian seasoning, and red pepper flakes and saute until fragrant, ~1 minute more.
- Pour stock and tomatoes (including liquid) over sausage and aromatics. Add bay leaves. Bring to a simmer.
- Simmer soup for 5 to 7 minutes to let flavors come together. Stir in spinach leaves and let simmer until wilted, 1 to 2 minutes more.
- Taste soup and season with some salt and pepper.
- Divide soup between serving bowls. Enjoy!
Really easy to make and it was tasty! Accidentally bought non made lentils, so I threw them in when I put the noodles in. I can see how using different noodles would make the soup easier to eat. Will definitely make again.0 Helpful
Came together easily- would repeat and change noodles for consistency.0 Helpful
Loved this soup! Easy and delicious. Used mini farfalle instead of lasagna noodles to skip the extra step of breaking up the pasta, and that worked great.0 Helpful
Made both vegetarian and original soups, just added the different ingredients in the end. Both great! Soup had depth and rich flavor. Minimal clean up was a plus!0 Helpful
Great soup! We used campanelle pasta, which was great. Used full amount of stock.0 Helpful
LOVE this soup! I made a large batch and threw all the individual portions into the freezer for later meals.0 Helpful