Lasagna Soupwith Italian sausage / ricotta / mushrooms / spinach
Classic lasagna is time-consuming to make, but all those same ingredients can be made into soup in a fraction of the time! A dollop of ricotta cheese served on top gives this dish the authentic feel of the original.
Smarts: Lasagna noodles are broken up and stirred into the soup at the end of cooking. Watch them closely or boil them separately to keep them from over-cooking and getting soggy.
- Onions, medium - 1, diced
- Garlic - 4 cloves, chopped
- Lasagna noodles - 6 oz, broken into pieces
- Mushrooms, any button - 8 oz, sliced (look for pre-sliced)
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Sausage, Italian and raw (use mild or spicy) - 8 oz
- Tomato paste - 2 Tbsp
- Oregano, dried - 1 tsp
- Basil, dried - 1/2 tsp
- Italian seasoning - 1/2 tsp
- Red pepper flakes (opt) - 1/2 tsp
- Stock, any type - 4 cups
- Tomatoes, diced and preferably fire-roasted (14 oz / 397 g) - 1 can
- Bay leaves - 2
- Spinach, baby - 5 oz
- Cheese, ricotta - 1/4 cup
- Cheese, parmesan (opt) - 2 oz, grated
- Onions / Garlic / Lasagna noodles - Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Mushrooms - Slice mushrooms. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Heat a Dutch oven with oil over medium heat. Stir in onions, garlic, and mushrooms and cook for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add sausage and saute until sausage is breaking apart and nearly cooked through, 4 to 6 minutes.
- Stir in tomato paste, oregano, basil, Italian seasoning, and red pepper flakes and saute until fragrant, ~1 minute more.
- Pour stock and tomatoes (including liquid) over sausage and aromatics. Add bay leaves. Bring to a simmer.
- Stir lasagna noodles into soup and cover.
- Simmer soup just until lasagna noodles are al dente, tender but still with some bite. This should take 10 to 15 minutes, but watch closely to prevent over-cooking the noodles. In the last minute of cooking, stir in spinach leaves.
- Taste soup and season with some salt and pepper.
- Divide soup between serving bowls. Top each bowl with a spoonful of ricotta cheese and some Parmesan cheese (if using). Enjoy!
This meal has 55 reviews
Whole family enjoyed, 10 month old finished their portion and wanted more. Used whole wheat elbow pasta after reading reviews. Glad to have leftovers!
FLIPPIN BOMB and riccota is fire
Best soup we have had in awhile! Thank you! I made a batch for my friend and her fam who just had a baby and she was so grateful- but she said she practically eat the whole thing by herself because it was so good.
Like it a lot and pretty quick and easy overall. Used a full pound of sausage and shell pasta instead of breaking up the lasagna noodles. I think zucchini would be a nice addition next time.
Not going to lie, I had my doubts, as I'm not a big fan of lasagna. This was FANTASTIC!
Really tasty and made a good sized batch. Next time I’d either break up the lasagna noodles into smaller bits or use a smaller noodle type.