Tamarind Fried Rice
with bok choy / eggs / cashews
Smarts: To make this a true one-pan meal, we opted to scramble the eggs into the rice, but it would be great with fried eggs on top as well.
- Garlic - 2 cloves, chopped
- Brown sugar - 1/2 tsp
- Tamarind concentrate - 1 Tbsp
- Soy sauce - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Red pepper flakes (opt) - 1/4 tsp
- Bell peppers, any color - 1, diced
- Garlic - 3 cloves, sliced
- Bok choy, baby - 12 oz, halved and chopped
- Limes - 1, wedges
- Cilantro - 2 Tbsp, chopped
- Eggs - 4
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Black pepper - 1/4 tsp
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Cooked rice (leftover from Monday) - ~2 cups
- Tamarind Stir-Fry Sauce (ingredients listed separately) - ~3 Tbsp
- Cashews - 1/2 cup
- Bell peppers / Garlic (for sauce and fried rice) - Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make stir-fry sauce - Combine garlic (portion for sauce), brown sugar, tamarind concentrate, soy sauce, and red pepper flakes. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Bok choy - Halve bok choy lengthwise and then rinse thoroughly in cold water in case any dirt got trapped in the stems. Drain and then chop. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Limes / Cilantro - Prep as directed.
- Eggs - Whisk eggs with salt and pepper.
- Heat a wok over medium-high heat. Add oil and then bok choy. Saute bok choy for ~3 minutes. Add sliced garlic and bell peppers. Saute for another 3 to 5 minutes, until bok choy is tender but still crunchy.
- Add leftover rice and stir-fry sauce and stir to combine.
- Push all ingredients to the side, forming a donut in the middle of the wok. Pour in eggs and scramble until cooked to your liking. Toss everything to combine.
- Stir in cashews and season with some salt and pepper.
- Serve fried rice with cilantro on top and lime wedges on the side. Enjoy!
Delicious. However, couldn't find tamarind concentrate at my regular grocery store so I ended up purchasing a "tamarind sauce" instead.0 Helpful
I enjoyed this, and it came together pretty easily since I'd already made the rice and started the marinade early in the day.0 Helpful
This was pretty good. I had to order tamarind concentrate from Amazon as no store in my area carried it. My local store also does not carry baby bok choy, so I used regular bok choy sliced thick. It was a light but satisfying meal.0 Helpful
Not bad. Pretty standard salmon meal. I found tamarind at our local Asian market, but I didn't feel like it added anything special to the fish.0 Helpful
Couldn’t find tamarind paste0 Helpful
I’m not familiar enough with the ingredients, maybe? Couldn’t find a Tamarind concentrate at five different grocery stores, he ended up with some tamarind soup mix. I also might not have any idea how to pick a decent bok choy. The white parts tasted absolutely awful.0 Helpful