Greek Halloumi and Vegetable Pita Pockets
with tzatziki / carrot sticks
Smarts: Make the tzatziki ahead of time to allow the flavors to develop and save some dinnertime prep!
- Cucumbers - 8 oz, finely diced
- Garlic - 2 cloves, chopped
- Mint, fresh - 2 Tbsp, chopped
- Yogurt, plain or Greek - 1 cup
- Carrots - 8 oz, sticks for dipping
- Cheese, Halloumi - 12 oz, 1/2" / 1.3 cm thick slices
- Tomatoes, Roma - 2, thinly sliced
- Lettuce, romaine - 4 leaves, torn
- Pita bread - 4 rounds
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Make tzatziki - Dice cucumbers. Chop garlic and mint. Combine cucumbers, garlic, mint, and yogurt. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Carrots (and celery if you have any leftover) - Slice into sticks for dipping. If prepping ahead, soak in water to help them stay crisp. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Halloumi - Rinse halloumi (it’s often stored in salt water and will benefit from a quick rinse). Slice into 1/2" / 1.3 cm thick slices. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Tomatoes / Lettuce - Prep as directed.
- Pita - Slice pita in half and gently pull apart to form pockets. (Note: Don’t worry if your pita rounds won’t easily form pockets. You can use the two halves like hamburger buns and assemble them with the halloumi and toppings in the middle.)
- Heat a skillet or grill pan over medium-high heat. Brush pan with cooking oil and then place halloumi slices on heated oil.
- Cook halloumi slices on both sides until deep golden brown, 6 to 8 minutes total.
- Heat pita pockets in the microwave or toaster just until warm.
- Assemble pita pockets by filling each pita half with lettuce, tomatoes, halloumi, and some tzatziki. (As noted above, you can also just stack the toppings between two pita pocket halves like a more traditional burger.)
- Serve pita pockets with carrots (and celery, if using) and remaining tzatziki on the side for dipping. Enjoy!
The vegetarian version of this recipe is awesome! I was looking for a grilled cheese recipe for a meatless recipe and found this. The halloumi was so easy to work with, and also delicious. It fit in the pita pocket perfectly. We added sun-dried tomato pesto from week of 5/20/19 and also arugula from that week.0 Helpful
I strayed from the recipe a bit. I intended to make it with burger buns instead of pita, but then the buns were moldy so instead I cut up all the bits and ate it like a salad. Added some feta cheese on top. I used a different tzatziki recipe (with dill instead of mint).0 Helpful
Served with hummus on the side, it was decent but not amazing.0 Helpful
Very good--need to find pita pockets that work! Too bready otherwise.0 Helpful
I had to doctor the tzatziki sauce, then this was fantastic0 Helpful
Lovely! Added hummus. made more like meatballs than patties0 Helpful