Greek Burger Patties over Green Salad
with tahini “tzatziki” / carrot sticks
Beef burger patties are endlessly versatile! We're adding garlic powder, paprika, and oregano and serving the patties over a Greek-inspired dinner salad.
Smarts: Make the tzatziki ahead of time and to allow the flavors to develop and save some dinnertime prep!
- Cucumbers - 8 oz, finely diced
- Garlic - 2 cloves, chopped
- Mint, fresh - 2 Tbsp, chopped
- Oil, olive - 4 Tbsp
- Tahini - 2 Tbsp
- Carrots - 8 oz, sticks for dipping
- Beef, ground - 1 1/4 lb
- Garlic powder - 3/4 tsp
- Paprika - 3/4 tsp
- Oregano, dried - 3/4 tsp
- Salt - 3/4 tsp
- Black pepper - 1/2 tsp
- Tomatoes, medium - 1, diced
- Lettuce, romaine - 6 oz, chopped
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Make tahini “tzatziki” - Dice cucumbers. Chop garlic and mint. Combine cucumbers, garlic, mint, olive oil, and tahini. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Carrots (and celery if you have any leftover) - Slice into sticks for dipping. If prepping ahead, soak in water to help them stay crisp. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make patties - Mix ground beef with garlic powder, paprika, oregano, salt, and pepper. Form into 1/2" / 1.3 cm thick patties. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Tomatoes / Lettuce - Prep as directed.
- Heat a skillet or grill pan over medium-high heat. Brush pan with cooking oil and then place patties on heated oil.
- Cook patties until they reach an internal temperature of 165F / 74C degrees, ~5 minutes on each side.
- Toss together lettuce and tomatoes. Divide salad between serving plates and top with burger patties.
- Serve burgers over salad with carrots (and celery, if using) on the side. Drizzle “tzatziki” over burgers and use as a dip for veggies. Enjoy!
The vegetarian version of this recipe is awesome! I was looking for a grilled cheese recipe for a meatless recipe and found this. The halloumi was so easy to work with, and also delicious. It fit in the pita pocket perfectly. We added sun-dried tomato pesto from week of 5/20/19 and also arugula from that week.0 Helpful
I strayed from the recipe a bit. I intended to make it with burger buns instead of pita, but then the buns were moldy so instead I cut up all the bits and ate it like a salad. Added some feta cheese on top. I used a different tzatziki recipe (with dill instead of mint).0 Helpful
Served with hummus on the side, it was decent but not amazing.0 Helpful
Very good--need to find pita pockets that work! Too bready otherwise.0 Helpful
I had to doctor the tzatziki sauce, then this was fantastic0 Helpful
Lovely! Added hummus. made more like meatballs than patties0 Helpful