Asian Kale Salad with Tofu
and peanut dressing / celery / Asian pears
- Ginger - 1 inch, grated
- Peanut butter - 1/4 cup (creamy is preferred, but crunchy will also work)
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 3 Tbsp
- Vinegar, rice - 2 Tbsp
- Honey - 2 Tbsp
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Sriracha - 1 Tbsp (sub other hot sauce)
- Lime - 1, juice of
- Tofu, extra-firm - 16 oz, 1/2" / 1.3 cm cubes (vacuum-packed preferable)
- Celery - 4 ribs, thinly sliced
- Kale, baby - 10 oz (sub 1 bunch kale, chopped, for 4 servings)
- Pears, Asian - 2, julienned or sliced (sub any pears)
- Mint, fresh - 8 leaves, thinly sliced
- Oil, cooking - 2 Tbsp
- Peanuts - 1/2 cup
- Tofu - If tofu is packaged in water, press out liquid first, like in this video. Then slice into 1/2” / 1.3 cm cubes. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Make dressing - Grate ginger. Soften peanut butter in the microwave for ~30 seconds. Mix with ginger, soy sauce, rice vinegar, honey, oil (portion for dressing), Sriracha (or other hot sauce), and lime juice. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Celery - Slice celery. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
- Dress kale - Dress kale with half of the dressing. Cover and refrigerate for at least 20 minutes to let the kale tenderize / soften.
- Pears / Mint - Prep as directed.
- Season tofu with some salt and pepper.
- Heat a nonstick pan over medium-high heat. Add oil (portion for salad) and then add tofu to heated oil.
- Sear tofu on all sides until golden brown, 5 to 7 minutes total.
- Toss dressed kale with celery, pear, mint, and peanuts. Portion out the salad. Top with tofu and drizzle remainder of the dressing over top. Enjoy!
This dressing is so yummy, I suggest doubling it so you have some for later.0 Helpful
We did this as a make-ahead for lunches. I prepped everything except dressing the kale beforehand. Then in the morning, I dressed the kale, added all the toppings, and packed it with the dressing to pour over the top. We both LOVED the flavors of this salad. This is definitely one we will make again!0 Helpful
this was very good. would have been too spicy for the kids but the grown ups ate it up.0 Helpful
Baby kale was surprisingly delicious. Looked wilted, but tasted delicious.0 Helpful
Man, I would practically drink this dressing it was so delicious.0 Helpful
So good. Eyeballed a lot of the dressing ingredients (probably less than 2 tbsp honey) but came together quickly and deliciously. Used salad greens instead of kale since it’s what I had on hand but turned out well. Would like to try with kale sometime too.0 Helpful