Asian Kale Salad with Chickenand sunflower seed dressing / celery / Asian pears
- Ginger - 1 inch, grated
- Sunflower seed butter - 1/4 cup
- Coconut / Bragg's aminos - 3 Tbsp
- Vinegar, rice - 2 Tbsp
- Honey - 2 Tbsp
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Sriracha - 1 Tbsp (sub other hot sauce)
- Lime - 1, juice of
- Celery - 4 ribs, thinly sliced
- Chicken breasts, boneless and skinless - 1 lb, sliced into strips (sub chicken thighs)
- Kale, baby - 10 oz (sub 1 bunch kale, chopped, for 4 servings)
- Pears, Asian - 2, julienned or sliced (sub any pears)
- Mint, fresh - 8 leaves, thinly sliced
- Oil, cooking - 2 Tbsp
- Cashews - 1/2 cup
- Make dressing - Grate ginger. Soften sunflower seed butter in the microwave for ~30 seconds. Mix with ginger, aminos, rice vinegar, honey, oil (portion for dressing), Sriracha (or other hot sauce), and lime juice. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Celery - Slice celery. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
- Chicken - Cut chicken into strips. Tenderize with a fork and season with some salt and pepper. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Dress kale - Dress kale with half of the dressing. Cover and refrigerate for at least 20 minutes to let the kale tenderize / soften.
- Pears / Mint - Prep as directed.
- Heat a skillet or grill pan over medium-high heat. Add oil (portion for salad) and then add chicken to heated oil.
- Sear chicken on each side until cooked through, 5 to 7 minutes total.
- Toss dressed kale with celery, pear, mint, and cashews. Portion out the salad. Top with chicken slices and drizzle remainder of the dressing over top. Enjoy!
This meal has 17 reviews
We did this as a make-ahead for lunches. I prepped everything except dressing the kale beforehand. Then in the morning, I dressed the kale, added all the toppings, and packed it with the dressing to pour over the top. We both LOVED the flavors of this salad. This is definitely one we will make again!
this was very good. would have been too spicy for the kids but the grown ups ate it up.
Baby kale was surprisingly delicious. Looked wilted, but tasted delicious.
Man, I would practically drink this dressing it was so delicious.
So good. Eyeballed a lot of the dressing ingredients (probably less than 2 tbsp honey) but came together quickly and deliciously. Used salad greens instead of kale since it’s what I had on hand but turned out well. Would like to try with kale sometime too.
Big fan of this salad - love all Cook Smarts main meal salads! The dressing was excellent. Used 2 tsp of honey (instead of the suggested 4 T).