Asian Kale Salad with Chickenand peanut dressing / celery / Asian pears
- Ginger - 1 inch, grated
- Peanut butter - 1/4 cup (creamy is preferred, but crunchy will also work)
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 3 Tbsp
- Vinegar, rice - 2 Tbsp
- Honey - 2 Tbsp
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Sriracha - 1 Tbsp (sub other hot sauce)
- Lime - 1, juice of
- Celery - 4 ribs, thinly sliced
- Chicken breasts, boneless and skinless - 1 lb, sliced into strips (sub chicken thighs)
- Kale, baby - 10 oz (sub 1 bunch kale, chopped, for 4 servings)
- Pears, Asian - 2, julienned or sliced (sub any pears)
- Mint, fresh - 8 leaves, thinly sliced
- Oil, cooking - 2 Tbsp
- Peanuts - 1/2 cup
- Make dressing - Grate ginger. Soften peanut butter in the microwave for ~30 seconds. Mix with ginger, soy sauce, rice vinegar, honey, oil (portion for dressing), Sriracha (or other hot sauce), and lime juice. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Celery - Slice celery. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
- Chicken - Cut chicken into strips. Tenderize with a fork and season with some salt and pepper. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Dress kale - Dress kale with half of the dressing. Cover and refrigerate for at least 20 minutes to let the kale tenderize / soften.
- Pears / Mint - Prep as directed.
- Heat a skillet or grill pan over medium-high heat. Add oil (portion for salad) and then add chicken to heated oil.
- Sear chicken on each side until cooked through, 5 to 7 minutes total.
- Toss dressed kale with celery, pear, mint, and peanuts. Portion out the salad. Top with chicken slices and drizzle remainder of the dressing over top. Enjoy!
This meal has 18 reviews
Quick to come together and really tasty. Didn't mind the heavy dressing because we love all things peanut saucy! Used baby kale as it was easy but definitely made the salad feel a bit soggier. Great flavor combo though!
Easy and good. I would make this again for a quick dinner. I like kale and need to eat it more often. I am glad you are teaching the ways to tenderize it!
The prep of the kale was nice as it wasn’t tough. Loved the peanut dressing. Mint was a nice surprise but we didn’t notice it much so I’d probably add a little more. I’m not a fan of celery but it was fine in here with all the other flavors. Will definitely make again.
Was nice but as others have said it is more like eating peanut butter than being saucy. Needs more liquid.
Pretty good! We used baby kale and made it for lunches, which was a wise choice as we do not think it would be hearty enough for dinner. The dressing was good although it felt a bit "peanut butter-y", like we were eating peanut butter dressing and not peanut sauce. The mint was a nice touch, as was the crunchiness of the celery and pears. Excited to have it for lunch again this week!
This was not bad. I would give it more like a 2.5. Dressing was great! And I liked the tip of 'soaking' the kale in dressing first to soften it as normally I don't enjoy raw kale. Don't think the pears added anything special, but mint was great. Tofu also great (we tossed it in corn starch before hand so it would harden which is something cooksmarts usually suggests) Probably would not make it again, but it worked for dinner and for lunch leftovers.