Gluten-Free Chicken Schnitzel
with spiced carrots and cabbage saute
Our gluten-free schnitzel combines almond meal with za'atar, a Middle-Eastern spice blend that provides this schnitzel with so much flavor. Crunchy cabbage and carrots are seasoned with some spices and vinegar, making this an extra colorful side dish to go with our schnitzel.
Gluten-Free Chicken Schnitzel with Almond Meal:
- Chicken breasts - 3 , halved and pounded thinly
- Almond meal - 1 1/4 cup ((Sub 1 cup of almonds))
- Za'atar - 2 Tbsp ((This is a Middle Eastern spice mix. If you can't find it sub 1 tbs. thyme + 1 tbs. oregano.))
- Paprika - 1/2 tsp
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Pepper - 1/4 tsp
- Eggs - 2
- Cooking oil spray -
- Sour cream - 1/4 cup
- Lemon - 1/2 , juice of
- Dijon mustard - 1/2 tsp
- Dill - 2 sprigs , chopped
Spiced Carrots and Cabbage with Raisins:
- Garlic - 3 cloves , minced
- Carrots - 1/2 lb , grated
- Red cabbage - 1/2 head , grated or sliced
- Cooking oil - 3 Tbsp
- Maple syrup - 2 Tbsp
- Apple cider vinegar - 2 Tbsp
- Golden raisins - 1/3 cup
- Garlic / Carrots / Cabbage - Prep as directed. Both carrots and cabbage can be prepped in a food processor. Otherwise, grate carrots in a box grater and chop cabbage. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Chicken - Halve and then place between two sheets of wax or parchment paper. Pound until breasts are about 1/2" (1.25 cm) thick. (Can be done up to 1 day ahead)
- Make almond meal - If you bought pre-made almond meal, you're done; otherwise, pulse almonds in a food processor until almonds break down into a medium-fine texture. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make breading - Mix almond meal with za'atar, paprika, salt, and pepper. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Preheat oven to 375F (191C) degrees.
- Whisk eggs and 1 tbs. (15 ml) water in a shallow dish. Place almond meal into another shallow dish. Line a sheet pan with foil and spray with cooking oil.
- Dip chicken into egg wash and then into almond meal making sure it gets coated with the breading. Move it onto the sheet pan. Repeat until you're finished with all the chicken pieces.
- Give breaded chicken a light spray of cooking oil and then bake in the top rack of the oven for 15 to 20 minutes, flipping once in the middle.
- While protein is baking, heat a saute pan or skillet over medium-high heat. Add cooking oil and then garlic to heated oil. Once you can smell the garlic, add the carrots and cabbage with a dash of salt and 1/4 cup (59 ml) of water. Saute until almost softened, 5 to 7 minutes. Then add in maple syrup, vinegar, and raisins. Saute for another 3 to 4 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Mix together sour cream, lemon, mustard, and dill. Serve over chicken and enjoy with a side of your cabbage and carrots.