with Italian sausage / zucchini / white beans
Smarts: We start the cassoulet on the stove-top and finish in the oven, so be sure to use a Dutch oven or skillet that's oven proof.
- Carrots - 8 oz, diced
- Celery - 2 stalks, diced
- Zucchini - 12 oz, diced
- Garlic - 2 cloves, chopped
- Beans, cannellini (14 oz / 397 g) - 1 can, drained and rinsed
- Oil, olive - 1 Tbsp
- Italian sausage, loose and raw - 8 oz
- Tomato paste - 3 Tbsp
- Stock, any type - 1 cup
- Bay leaves - 2
- Butter - 1 Tbsp
- Panko breadcrumbs - 3/4 cups
- Thyme, dried - 1 tsp
- Baguette, small - for serving
- Heat oven to 400F / 204C.
- While oven is heating, heat a Dutch oven or large skillet with olive oil over medium heat. Add sausage and cook, breaking apart, until cooked through, 4 to 6 minutes.
- Set cooked sausage aside and return pan to heat. (Note: if there is more than ~1 Tbsp / 15 ml of oil in the pan for 4 servings, drain off excess; adjust amount if customizing).
- Increase heat to medium-high. Add carrots and celery to heated pan. Saute until soft and starting to caramelize in some places, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Stir in tomato paste, zucchini, garlic, Italian sausage, and stock. Add bay leaves and bring to a simmer.
- While cassoulet is coming to a simmer, melt butter. Combine with panko and dried thyme.
- Stir beans into cassoulet and sprinkle panko over top.
- Transfer cassoulet to heated oven and bake, uncovered, until panko topping is golden brown, ~15 minutes.
- Toast baguette during the last few minutes of cooking.
- Spoon cassoulet into shallow bowls and serve with baguette on the side. Enjoy!
Very easy to throw together and really tasty. I used spicy Italian sausage and would definitely recommend that.1 Helpful
Added an onion and a few fresh tomatoes and a little less tomato paste. Was very good0 Helpful
We added homemade sourdough instead of the baguette. Really simple and filling. A solid winter meal.0 Helpful
We liked the sausage and vegetable combo. Prep makes quick work. Used farro instead of beans as I inadvertently used the beans in something else. Delicious!0 Helpful
Adding to favorites, this was so good.0 Helpful
Yummy. No complaints0 Helpful
Really good. I didn't have high expectations but was pleasantly pleased. Made both meat and veggie options. My hubby said it could use more meat. We thought it might be good with naan instead of the baguette. I added some salt as I cooked based on reviews. 4 year old ate sausage, beans, and the bread. Will make again for sure!!0 Helpful