with Italian sausage / zucchini / white beans
Smarts: We start the cassoulet on the stove-top and finish in the oven, so be sure to use a Dutch oven or skillet that's oven proof.
- Carrots - 8 oz, diced
- Celery - 2 stalks, diced
- Zucchini - 12 oz, diced
- Garlic - 2 cloves, chopped
- Beans, cannellini (14 oz / 397 g) - 1 can, drained and rinsed
- Oil, olive - 1 Tbsp
- Italian sausage, loose and raw - 8 oz
- Tomato paste - 3 Tbsp
- Stock, any type - 1 cup
- Bay leaves - 2
- Butter - 1 Tbsp
- Panko breadcrumbs - 3/4 cups
- Thyme, dried - 1 tsp
- Baguette, small - for serving
- Heat oven to 400F / 204C.
- While oven is heating, heat a Dutch oven or large skillet with olive oil over medium heat. Add sausage and cook, breaking apart, until cooked through, 4 to 6 minutes.
- Set cooked sausage aside and return pan to heat. (Note: if there is more than ~1 Tbsp / 15 ml of oil in the pan for 4 servings, drain off excess; adjust amount if customizing).
- Increase heat to medium-high. Add carrots and celery to heated pan. Saute until soft and starting to caramelize in some places, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Stir in tomato paste, zucchini, garlic, Italian sausage, and stock. Add bay leaves and bring to a simmer.
- While cassoulet is coming to a simmer, melt butter. Combine with panko and dried thyme.
- Stir beans into cassoulet and sprinkle panko over top.
- Transfer cassoulet to heated oven and bake, uncovered, until panko topping is golden brown, ~15 minutes.
- Toast baguette during the last few minutes of cooking.
- Spoon cassoulet into shallow bowls and serve with baguette on the side. Enjoy!
Very easy to throw together and really tasty. I used spicy Italian sausage and would definitely recommend that.1 Helpful
Delish - every dish I make that calls for beans I will add a second can of beans. Otherwise good stuff.0 Helpful
Used chicken apple sausage from Costco and sliced. Also used shredded carrots. Subbed olive oil for butter with panko and it worked out perfectly. Flavors were delicious!0 Helpful
Loved the flavor, and combination of ingredients. Partner thought it had "too much stuff". *eye roll*0 Helpful
Kind of bland0 Helpful
So so tasty. And easy to make. Will definitely be in the rotation.0 Helpful
So flavorful. Will make again.0 Helpful