with Italian sausage / zucchini / white beans
Smarts: We start the cassoulet on the stove-top and finish in the oven, so be sure to use a Dutch oven or skillet that's oven proof.
- Carrots - 8 oz, diced
- Celery - 2 ribs, diced
- Zucchini - 12 oz, diced
- Garlic - 2 cloves, chopped
- Beans, cannellini (14 oz / 397 g) - 1 can, drained and rinsed
- Oil, olive - 1 Tbsp
- Italian sausage, loose and raw - 8 oz
- Tomato paste - 3 Tbsp
- Stock, any type - 1 cup
- Bay leaves - 2
- Butter - 1 Tbsp
- Panko breadcrumbs - 3/4 cups
- Thyme, dried - 1 tsp
- Baguette, small - for serving
- Heat oven to 400F / 204C.
- While oven is heating, heat a Dutch oven or large skillet with olive oil over medium heat. Add sausage and cook, breaking apart, until cooked through, 4 to 6 minutes.
- Set cooked sausage aside and return pan to heat. (Note: if there is more than ~1 Tbsp / 15 ml of oil in the pan for 4 servings, drain off excess; adjust amount if customizing).
- Increase heat to medium-high. Add carrots and celery to heated pan. Saute until soft and starting to caramelize in some places, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Stir in tomato paste, zucchini, garlic, Italian sausage, and stock. Add bay leaves and bring to a simmer.
- While cassoulet is coming to a simmer, melt butter. Combine with panko and dried thyme.
- Stir beans into cassoulet and sprinkle panko over top.
- Transfer cassoulet to heated oven and bake, uncovered, until panko topping is golden brown, ~15 minutes.
- Toast baguette during the last few minutes of cooking.
- Spoon cassoulet into shallow bowls and serve with baguette on the side. Enjoy!
So flavorful. Will make again.0 Helpful
SO delicious! Will definitely make again!0 Helpful
Yummy and easy.0 Helpful
Delicious and easy to make one pot meal.0 Helpful
This was so tasty. I used all the ingredients as listed (beef broth), plus I added dashes of celery salt after each addition into the pan. Got rid of my old Dutch oven recently, so I just transferred everything into a round bakeware dish for the oven before adding the beans and panko mixture.0 Helpful
I've made both the veggie and regular (with chicken sausage) version of this and both were delicious.0 Helpful