Portobello, Brie, and Cranberry Melts
with green beans
- Mushrooms, portobello - 2, stems removed and discarded
- Butter - 4 Tbsp
- Sandwich bread - 8 slices (sourdough preferred)
- Cheese, brie - 8 oz
- Cranberry sauce - 1/2 cup (sub cranberry or raspberry jam)
- Green beans - 1 lb, trimmed
- Oil, cooking - 2 tsp
- Oil, olive - 2 tsp
- Lemon juice - 2 tsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 1 tsp
- Lemon zest - 1/2 tsp
- Heat a wok for green beans over medium-high heat. Add cooking oil and then add green beans to heated oil. Saute for 10 to 12 minutes, until tender and browned in spots. Season with some salt and pepper.
- While green beans are cooking, heat griddle or a skillet over medium heat. Brush with some oil and add sliced mushrooms in a single layer. Cook mushrooms on both sides just until seared. Set aside.
- Assemble sandwiches by spreading butter on one side of each piece of bread. Lay out half of the bread slices buttered-side down. Top with brie (if the brie is too firm to spread with a knife, cut it into slices), then with mushrooms and cranberry sauce. Finish with remaining slices of bread, buttered-side up.
- Return the griddle or skillet used to cook the mushrooms to medium heat. Place sandwiches onto heated surface (as many as can fit) and press down throughout the grilling process with a spatula. Flip once the first side is golden, ~ 3 to 4 minutes. Move sandwiches onto cooling rack and keep warm until you're ready to eat.
- When green beans are finished cooking, whisk together olive oil, lemon juice, mustard, and lemon zest. Toss with green beans and season with some salt and pepper.
- Serve sandwiches with green beans on the side. Enjoy!
A decadent grilled cheese, turkey and it melted in our mouths! Yes we ate the rind on the Brie cut to fit bread. It reminded me of Thanksgiving leftovers with the cranberry. Lemony green beans were amazing! We are eating so many more veggies!0 Helpful
We used wild cranberries picked at our cottage. Amazing sandwich.0 Helpful
What a genius way to make a quick and fancy feeling sandwich. Sourdough was a great suggestion for the bread. The lemon dijon green beans were great too.0 Helpful
Yummmmm...added a bit of arugula to the sandwiches because I had it.0 Helpful
I made this. I got to the grocery to realize they didn’t have cranberry sauce. At that point I was committed so I bought everything else and came home. I searched through the cabinet to find a jar of Dr. Praline Mustard sauce. I made the sandwich exactly as described except that I substituted the mustard sauce for the cranberry sauce. I realize this probably produced a completely different sandwich but it was amazing.1 Helpful
This was outside my comfort zone. But we still tried it. It wars pretty good.0 Helpful