Steak with Miso-Lime Butter
and sauteed bok choy with garlic / rice
Miso-lime butter makes a luscious steak sauce. Fire up the grill (or stove top / oven) and enjoy this simple, impressive weeknight meal that was a hit with our community when when we first featured it in June 2015.
Sauteed Bok Choy with Garlic:
- Garlic - 3 cloves , sliced
- Bok choy, baby - 3/4 lb , chopped (sub regular bok choy or zucchini)
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 2 to 3 tsp
Steak with Miso-Lime Butter:
- Rice, uncooked white or brown - 3/4 cup
- Green onions - 1 stalk , chopped finely
- Butter - 3 Tbsp
- Miso, any type - 1 Tbsp
- Lime juice - 1 tsp
- Steak, flank, skirt or hanger - 1 1/4 lb
- Rice - For white rice, rinse until clear. Fill a saucepan or Dutch oven (or rice cooker) with rice, water (use 2:1 ratio for water to rice), and some salt. Cover with lid and bring to a boil. Once water boils, stir, lower heat to a low-medium, and cover. Check white rice after ~20 min; brown at ~45 min. Rice is done when it's absorbed all the water. If it's not done, leave the cover on until all water has been absorbed. Take cover off to release steam and fluff with a wooden spoon after 5 minutes. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead).
- Garlic - Thinly slice. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make miso-lime butter - Chop green onions. Soften butter in microwave for ~10 seconds. Mash in miso, lime juice, and green onions. If you like spice, add in a few drops of your favorite hot sauce. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Bok choy - Halve bok choy lengthwise and then rinse thoroughly in cold water in case any dirt got trapped in the stems. Drain and then chop. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Steak - Season steak with some salt and pepper and tenderize with a fork. (Can be done up to 1 day ahead)
Unlock this meal along with hundreds of smart meal plans and never stress about "What's for dinner?" againTry for free
- If making steak on grill: Preheat grill to 500F / 260C degrees. Clean grates and brush with some oil. Place steak over direct heat. Sear steak for ~4 minutes on each side with the cover closed. Move steak to indirect heat and cook until it reaches desired level of doneness. Medium-rare: 130F / 54C degrees (~3 minutes); Medium: 140F / 60C degrees (~6 minutes); Well-done: 160F / 71C degrees (~10 minutes).
- If making steak on stovetop / oven: Heat grill pan or skillet over medium-high heat. Brush with some cooking oil. Place steak onto hot pan. Sear steak for ~4 minutes on each side. Lower heat to medium, cover with foil, and cook for another 2 to 3 minutes for medium-rare; another 4 to 7 minutes for medium; 8 to 10 minutes for well-done.
- While steak cooks, heat a skillet or saute pan over medium-high heat. Add cooking oil and then chopped bok choy to the pan. Saute for ~3 minutes and then add sliced garlic. Saute for another 3 to 5 minutes, until bok choy is tender but still crunchy. Finish with soy sauce. Season with some salt, pepper, and lime juice if desired.
- Reheat rice if made ahead.
- After steak is done rest for ~5 minutes, keeping covered with foil, before slicing against the grain.
- Enjoy steak and bok choy over rice, spreading miso-lime butter over steak.