Buffalo Chicken Tenderswith romaine salad / tahini “ranch” dressing
Enjoy the spice of buffalo chicken with a cool romaine salad on the side.
Smarts: Tossing the chicken with arrowroot powder helps the sauce thicken and coat the chicken.
- Hot sauce - 2 Tbsp (Frank’s Hot Sauce is the most common brand used to make buffalo sauce)
- Water - 2 Tbsp
- Honey - 1 Tbsp
- Bragg's / coconut aminos - 2 tsp
- Garlic powder - 1/2 tsp
- Chicken breasts, boneless and skinless - 1 1/2 lbs, sliced into strips (sub pre-sliced chicken tenders)
- Arrowroot powder - 2 tsp
- Oil, cooking - 2 Tbsp
- Tahini “Ranch” Dressing (ingredients listed separately) - 3 Tbsp
- Green onions - 1 stalk, chopped white and green parts combined
- Tahini - 2 Tbsp
- Vinegar, white wine - 1 Tbsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 1 tsp
- Dill, dried (opt) - 1/4 tsp
- Garlic powder - 1/4 tsp
- Oil, olive - 3 Tbsp
- Carrots - 4 oz, thinly sliced (sub shredded carrots)
- Lettuce, romaine - 6 oz, chopped
- Tomatoes, cherry - 1 cup, halved
- Tahini “Ranch” Dressing - 3 Tbsp
- Carrots - Thinly slice. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make buffalo sauce - Combine hot sauce, water, honey, aminos, and garlic powder (portion for chicken tenders). (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make tahini “ranch” dressing - Finely chop white and green parts of green onions. Combine with tahini, vinegar, mustard, dried dill, and garlic powder (portion for dressing). Add olive oil while whisking. (For a very smooth dressing, blend with an immersion blender.) (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Lettuce / Tomatoes - Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Chicken - If not already sliced, slice into tenders. Tenderize with a fork and season with some salt and pepper. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Toss chicken with arrowroot powder.
- Heat a skillet with cooking oil over medium heat. Add chicken and saute until deep golden brown, 5 to 6 minutes.
- Pour buffalo sauce over top and simmer until sauce coats chicken and chicken is cooked through, 2 to 3 minutes more.
- Toss lettuce with carrots, tomatoes, and portion of dressing for salad. Season with some salt and pepper.
- Serve chicken tenders with remaining dressing drizzled over top. Enjoy salad on the side.
This meal has 42 reviews
These weren't totally traditional buffalo and ranch flavors, but it was still a really tasty sandwich! I cut my chicken into strips after reading reviews and that seemed to work ok. The side salad was fine - I ate it and enjoyed it, but might swap it out for a different side next time.
This was okay. I threw in a little more cornstarch at the end to thicken up the sauce a bit because it was very runny. I also used store-bought ranch instead of making my own.
Buffalo sauce was less than spectacular (not spicy enough, and too sweet), and didn't stick well to the chicken even after leaving it on the stove longer than the recipe stated. I love buffalo chicken sandwiches though, so next time I may just use the typical recipe of butter in lieu of the honey, water and soy sauce. It's obviously not as healthy that way, but we were underwhelmed. Ranch was good, though!
Everything about this meal was so great. I will never buy bottled ranch again!!
Added the chicken on top of the salad and ate it all together. Flavorful with the dressing. Thanks for the tip to add more dill, Lucas!
Added to faves. The ranch being extra dilly complimented this dish wonderfully. Much better than expected. The salad didn't anything, but at least it was a healthy side.