Buffalo Chicken Tenderswith romaine salad / tahini “ranch” dressing
Enjoy the spice of buffalo chicken with a cool romaine salad on the side.
Smarts: Tossing the chicken with arrowroot powder helps the sauce thicken and coat the chicken.
- Hot sauce - 2 Tbsp (Frank’s Hot Sauce is the most common brand used to make buffalo sauce)
- Water - 2 Tbsp
- Honey - 1 Tbsp
- Bragg's / coconut aminos - 2 tsp
- Garlic powder - 1/2 tsp
- Chicken breasts, boneless and skinless - 1 1/2 lbs, sliced into strips (sub pre-sliced chicken tenders)
- Arrowroot powder - 2 tsp
- Oil, cooking - 2 Tbsp
- Tahini “Ranch” Dressing (ingredients listed separately) - 3 Tbsp
- Green onions - 1 stalk, chopped white and green parts combined
- Tahini - 2 Tbsp
- Vinegar, white wine - 1 Tbsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 1 tsp
- Dill, dried (opt) - 1/4 tsp
- Garlic powder - 1/4 tsp
- Oil, olive - 3 Tbsp
- Carrots - 4 oz, thinly sliced (sub shredded carrots)
- Lettuce, romaine - 6 oz, chopped
- Tomatoes, cherry - 1 cup, halved
- Tahini “Ranch” Dressing - 3 Tbsp
- Carrots - Thinly slice. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make buffalo sauce - Combine hot sauce, water, honey, aminos, and garlic powder (portion for chicken tenders). (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make tahini “ranch” dressing - Finely chop white and green parts of green onions. Combine with tahini, vinegar, mustard, dried dill, and garlic powder (portion for dressing). Add olive oil while whisking. (For a very smooth dressing, blend with an immersion blender.) (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Lettuce / Tomatoes - Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Chicken - If not already sliced, slice into tenders. Tenderize with a fork and season with some salt and pepper. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Toss chicken with arrowroot powder.
- Heat a skillet with cooking oil over medium heat. Add chicken and saute until deep golden brown, 5 to 6 minutes.
- Pour buffalo sauce over top and simmer until sauce coats chicken and chicken is cooked through, 2 to 3 minutes more.
- Toss lettuce with carrots, tomatoes, and portion of dressing for salad. Season with some salt and pepper.
- Serve chicken tenders with remaining dressing drizzled over top. Enjoy salad on the side.
This meal has 42 reviews
Easy to make, different from the norm. Seemed like the buffalo tofu could have been more flavorful, though.
I would leave honey out of the sauce next time. I prefer my buffalo sauce with no sweetness which is really just a matter of preference.
Too hot for us and our kids.
We cut the honey in half and thought the sauce was still a little bit sweet, but we loved the combinations of flavor with the ranch.
These were delicious and I'd definitely repeat them, but with a couple of changes. The cut up chicken made the sandwiches hard to eat, so I'd leave the chicken in larger pieces (like tenders). I'm also a buffalo sauce purist (it's really only hot sauce and butter) and I wasn't a big fan of the honey in the sauce. It shouldn't be sweet at all, IMO, so I'd leave that out next time.
Surprisingly tasty. I don't like spicy food very much, but enjoyed these. Would try again.