Twice-Baked Sweet Potatoes with Broccoli and Sausageand balsamic brussels sprouts
- Brussels sprouts - 1 lb, halved
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Foil - for cooking
- Vinegar, balsamic - 2 tsp
- Lemons - 1/2, juice of
- Sweet potatoes, medium - 4
- Shallots - 2 cloves, diced
- Broccoli - 10 oz, finely chopped
- Green onions - 2 stalks, chopped, white and green parts together
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Pork breakfast sausage, ground - 8 oz
- Sweet Potatoes - (If prepping right before cooking, get oven heating before continuing with prep.) Prick with a knife. Microwave, covered with a damp paper towel, on high power until tender, 10 to 12 minutes. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Shallots / Brussels sprouts - Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Broccoli - Chop broccoli into pieces small enough that they will easily fold into potato filling. Place in a microwave safe bowl covered with a damp paper towel. Microwave until tender, 2 to 3 minutes. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Green onions - Chop green onions. Store white and green parts together. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Heat oven to 500F / 260C degrees.
- Brush a sheet pan with cooking oil (portion for Brussels sprouts) and spread Brussels sprouts on top. Cover tightly with foil and steam in the oven for 10 minutes. (Watch this video on roasting vegetables at high temps.)
- While sprouts are steaming, heat a skillet with cooking oil (portion for sweet potatoes) over medium-high heat. Add sausage and saute, breaking sausage apart, until cooked through, 5 to 6 minutes. Drain off oil.
- Halve potatoes and gently scoop out centers.
- In a large mixing bowl mash potato filling and season with some salt and pepper. Add shallots, broccoli, and sausage. Mix well. Spoon filling into potato halves.
- Reduce oven to 425F / 218C degrees. Uncover Brussels sprouts and move them to one half of the pan. Drizzle sprouts with balsamic vinegar and some olive oil and season with some salt and pepper.
- Put filled potato halves on the other half of the pan.
- Return pan to the oven and bake until filling is hot and Brussels sprouts are dark golden brown, 20 to 30 minutes. Squeeze lemon juice over sprouts.
- Serve potatoes with green onions on top. Enjoy roasted Brussels sprouts on the side!
This meal has 48 reviews
This is a great make ahead and freeze for later recipe. I baked my potatoes rather than microwaving them. The brussel sprouts were fantastic.
We made this vegan by using dairy-free cheese/sour cream. Definitely one of the best recipes! The potatoes were microwaved perfectly and the brussels sprouts were delicious. A little time consuming but absolutely worth it for a great comfort meal.
Microwaving 7 potatoes a once was incredibly time consuming and not possible to cook them all in the amount of time specified in the recipe. We ended up with half cooked potatoes. The dish itself was good, but the undercooked, dry potates were not.
Are an entire pound of b sprouts myself! So much for leftovers. Loved these Brussel sprouts!
Best brussel sprouts of my life. And I eat a LOT of sprouts!
These were WELL loved. Both the vegetarian and the paleo options were big hits.