Twice-Baked Potatoes with Broccoli and Cheeseand balsamic brussels sprouts
- Brussels sprouts - 1 lb, halved
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Foil - for cooking
- Vinegar, balsamic - 2 tsp
- Lemons - 1/2, juice of
- Potatoes, medium russet - 4
- Shallots - 2 cloves, diced
- Broccoli - 10 oz, finely chopped
- Cheese, cheddar - 6 oz, shredded (use pre-shredded to save time)
- Green onions - 2 stalks, chopped, white and green parts together
- Sour cream - 1/2 cup (sub plain or Greek yogurt)
- Potatoes - (If prepping right before cooking, get oven heating before continuing with prep.) Prick with a knife. Microwave, covered with a damp paper towel, on high power until tender, 10 to 12 minutes. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Shallots / Brussels sprouts - Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Broccoli - Chop broccoli into pieces small enough that they will easily fold into potato filling. Place in a microwave safe bowl covered with a damp paper towel. Microwave until tender, 2 to 3 minutes. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Cheese / Green onions - Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Heat oven to 500F / 260C degrees.
- Brush a sheet pan with cooking oil and spread Brussels sprouts on top. Cover tightly with foil and steam in the oven for 10 minutes. (Watch this video on roasting vegetables at high temps.)
- While the sprouts are steaming, halve potatoes and gently scoop out centers.
- In a large mixing bowl mash potato filling with sour cream and season with some salt and pepper. Add shallots, broccoli, and cheese. Mix well. Spoon filling into potato halves.
- Reduce oven to 425F / 218C degrees. Uncover Brussels sprouts and move them to one half of the pan. Drizzle sprouts with balsamic vinegar and some olive oil and season with some salt and pepper.
- Put filled potato halves on the other half of the pan.
- Return pan to the oven and bake until filling is hot and Brussels sprouts are dark golden brown, 20 to 30 minutes. Squeeze lemon juice over sprouts.
- Serve potatoes with green onions on top. Enjoy roasted Brussels sprouts on the side!
This meal has 48 reviews
Not a favourite for me. To be fair, I don't like baked potatoes much. I would have liked these better with a bit more crunch and an extra zing of flavour, I think.
Takes a while to cook but really delicious.
A bit time consuming because we don't have a microwave, but it was filling and tasty, especially the Brussels sprouts!
This was tasty. I loved the sweetness and crunch the shallots gave it. I didn't make the brussel sprouts (couldn't fine them at the grocery store that day) so the potatoes were a side dish for us that night. I'd make it again
Solid meal. Very filling.
It's hard to know how to rate these - I baked instead of microwaving for the first step after reading reviews and still had trouble with some of the potatoes falling apart when scooping out the middle. I also added a little extra sour cream and butter to make the filling creamier. That said, even though these took a long time and made kind of a mess, I still really enjoyed eating them and the leftovers heated well too.