Mushroom and Lentil Stroganoff
with egg noodles / roasted balsamic broccolini
We've had a few requests for a Cook Smarts version of this classic comfort food meal. You'll love the combination of rich, creamy sauce with savory lentils served over noodles.
- Garlic - 2 cloves, chopped
- Sage - 4 leaves, thinly sliced
- Mushrooms, brown button - 12 oz, sliced in half
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Butter - 3 Tbsp
- Flour - 3 Tbsp
- Paprika - 1/2 tsp
- Coriander, ground - 1/2 tsp
- White wine - 1/2 cup (sub any type stock)
- Stock, any type - 1 cup
- Lentils, cooked (canned or vacuum-packed) - 2 cups
- Noodles, egg - 8 oz (sub any dried pasta)
- Sour cream - 1/2 cup (sub plain or Greek yogurt)
- Broccolini - 16 oz, trimmed
- Red pepper flakes - 1/2 tsp
- Vinegar, balsamic - 2 tsp
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Lemon juice - 2 tsp
- Broccolini / Garlic - Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Sage - Thinly slice sage. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Mushrooms - Slice mushrooms in half. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
- Heat oven to 425F / 218C.
- Heat a large saute pan with oil (portion for stroganoff) over medium-high heat.
- Add mushrooms and saute until mushrooms are browned on the outside, 4 to 5 minutes. Season with some salt.
- While mushrooms saute, toss broccolini with red pepper flakes, balsamic vinegar, oil (portion for broccolini), and some salt and pepper. Spread out onto a sheet pan and roast for 15 to 20 minutes, shaking pan midway through.
- Return to mushrooms and reduce heat to medium. Add butter and then sage. Saute sage in butter for 1 minute.
- Stir flour, paprika, and coriander into melted butter until no dry spots remain.
- Add garlic, wine, and stock to pan and bring to a simmer. Stir in lentils and reduce heat to low. Simmer, uncovered, until lentils are warmed up and most of the liquid is cooked off, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Bring a large stock pot with salted water to a boil. Add noodles and cook until al dente, tender but not soggy.
- Stir sour cream into lentils. Season with some salt and pepper.
- When noodles are done, drain and rinse.
- When broccolini is done roasting, season with some salt and squeeze lemon juice over top.
- Spoon mushrooms, lentils, and sauce over noodles. Serve with broccolini on the side. Enjoy!
Made just the stroganoff and not the side (steamed some regular broccoli, and it was a very nice compliment to this meal). Instead of egg noodles and wheat flour I used Banza noodles and almond flour (with a little arrowroot to thicken), and everyone thought the flavor was wonderful. The sauce was great. My only complaint, like another reviewer, was that the beef ended up pretty tough after cooking so long. Would definitely try it again, and maybe use a different cut of beef. Everyone ate the noodles, sauce and broccoli happily, the meat was just a little tough. Good meal though!1 Helpful
This was very good. I added some Dijon and Worcestershire in search of some depth. And mushrooms, of course.0 Helpful
Very good!! I used ground beef and added mushrooms and onions. with greek plain yogurt mixed in at the end. This meal was excellent, the fresh sage really made the flavor turn out perfectly!0 Helpful
Loved this! Very easy and tasty. Used Greek yogurt and the sauce turned out so creamy and delicious. The sage, coriander, and paprika combo was perfect.0 Helpful
It was ok. I don't like the sauce much but the ribeye saved it. Wouldn't make again.0 Helpful
Forgot to make lentils ahead of time, so i omitted them. Plus i got a little mixed up and sautéed the mushrooms, garlic, and fresh sage. Then i got even more mixed up and added flour mixture to all to all sautéed ingredients. Next added 3 cups organic vegetable broth. Being as I was already in a state of confusion i added sour cream into the sauce as well, accompied with 1 tsp Maggi liquid seasoning. Boom Shaka Lacka! dished it up and rocked everybody's socks! Note: the sage and coriander just disappeared into the marriage. I was expecting to taste one or the other, but it was so cleverly put together not one stood taller then the others. Thanks for such a great recipe!!! You ROCK!!!0 Helpful
Always love a nice stroganoff.0 Helpful