with cauliflower rice / roasted balsamic broccolini
We've had a few requests for a Cook Smarts version of this classic comfort food meal. You'll love the combination of rich, creamy sauce with chunks of beef. It's best served over something that can soak up the sauce, so we're serving this one over paleo-friendly cauliflower rice.
- Garlic - 2 cloves , chopped
- Cauliflower - 12 oz , florets chopped
- Sage - 4 leaves , thinly sliced
- Beef, any type of steak or stew meat - 1 lb , cubed
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Butter - 3 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp
- Almond flour / meal - 3 Tbsp
- Paprika - 1/2 tsp
- Coriander, ground - 1/2 tsp
- Stock, beef - 2 cups (sub any type stock)
Roasted Balsamic Broccolini:
- Broccolini - 16 oz , trimmed
- Red pepper flakes - 1/2 tsp
- Vinegar, balsamic - 2 tsp
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Lemon juice - 2 tsp
- Broccolini / Garlic - Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Cauliflower rice - Pulse florets in a food processor until broken up into ‘rice’-sized bits. Watch this video for the full how-to on cauliflower rice. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Sage - Thinly slice sage. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Beef - Slice beef into bite-sized cubes. Season with some salt and pepper and tenderize with a fork. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
Unlock this meal along with hundreds of smart meal plans and never stress about "What's for dinner?" againTry for free
- Heat oven to 425F / 218C.
- Heat a large saute pan with oil (portion for stroganoff) over medium-high heat.
- Add beef and saute until beef is browned on the outside, 3 to 4 minutes. Set beef aside (it will finish cooking in the sauce) and return pan to heat.
- Reduce heat to medium. Add first portion of butter and then sage. Saute sage in butter for 1 minute.
- Stir almond flour / meal, paprika, and coriander into melted butter until no dry spots remain.
- Add garlic and stock to pan and bring to a simmer. Add beef back to pan. Reduce heat and cover. Simmer on low until beef is tender, ~30 minutes.
- While beef simmers, toss broccolini with red pepper flakes, balsamic vinegar, oil (portion for broccolini), and some salt and pepper. Spread out onto a sheet pan and roast for 15 to 20 minutes, shaking pan midway through.
- Season beef with some salt and pepper. Set beef and sauce aside and wipe out pan. Return pan to heat.
- In heated pan melt second portion of butter. Add cauliflower and saute until tender, ~5 minutes. Season with some salt.
- When broccolini is done roasting, season with some salt and squeeze lemon juice over top.
- Spoon beef and sauce over cauliflower rice. Serve with broccolini on the side. Enjoy!