with pasta / roasted balsamic broccolini
We've had a few requests for a Cook Smarts version of this classic comfort food meal. You'll love the combination of rich, creamy sauce with chunks of beef served over noodles.
- Garlic - 2 cloves , chopped
- Sage - 4 leaves , thinly sliced
- Beef, any type of steak or stew meat - 1 lb , cubed
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Butter - 3 Tbsp
- Flour, any gluten-free - 3 Tbsp (sub almond flour / meal)
- Paprika - 1/2 tsp
- Coriander, ground - 1/2 tsp
- White wine - 1/2 cup (sub any type stock)
- Stock, beef - 1 1/4 cups (sub any type stock)
- Pasta, gluten-free fusilli - 8 oz (sub any gluten-free pasta)
- Sour cream - 1/2 cup (sub plain or Greek yogurt)
Roasted Balsamic Broccolini:
- Broccolini - 16 oz , trimmed
- Red pepper flakes - 1/2 tsp
- Vinegar, balsamic - 2 tsp
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Lemon juice - 2 tsp
- Broccolini / Garlic - Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Sage - Thinly slice sage. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Beef - Slice beef into bite-sized cubes. Season with some salt and pepper and tenderize with a fork. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
Unlock this meal along with hundreds of smart meal plans and never stress about "What's for dinner?" againTry for free
- Heat oven to 425F / 218C.
- Heat a large saute pan with oil (portion for stroganoff) over medium-high heat.
- Add beef and saute until beef is browned on the outside, 3 to 4 minutes. Set beef aside (it will finish cooking in the sauce) and return pan to heat.
- Reduce heat to medium. Add butter and then sage. Saute sage in butter for 1 minute.
- Stir flour, paprika, and coriander into melted butter until no dry spots remain.
- Add garlic, wine, and stock to pan and bring to a simmer. Add beef back to pan. Reduce heat and cover. Simmer on low until beef is tender, ~30 minutes.
- While beef simmers, toss broccolini with red pepper flakes, balsamic vinegar, oil (portion for broccolini), and some salt and pepper. Spread out onto a sheet pan and roast for 15 to 20 minutes, shaking pan midway through.
- Bring a large stock pot with salted water to a boil. Add pasta and cook until al dente, tender but not soggy.
- Remove beef from heat and stir in sour cream. Season with some salt and pepper.
- When pasta is done, drain and rinse.
- When broccolini is done roasting, season with some salt and squeeze lemon juice over top.
- Spoon beef and sauce over pasta. Serve with broccolini on the side. Enjoy!