with pasta / roasted balsamic broccolini
We've had a few requests for a Cook Smarts version of this classic comfort food meal. You'll love the combination of rich, creamy sauce with chunks of beef served over noodles.
- Garlic - 2 cloves, chopped
- Sage - 4 leaves, thinly sliced
- Beef, any type of steak or stew meat - 1 lb, cubed
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Butter - 3 Tbsp
- Flour, any gluten-free - 3 Tbsp (sub almond flour / meal)
- Paprika - 1/2 tsp
- Coriander, ground - 1/2 tsp
- White wine - 1/2 cup (sub any type stock)
- Stock, beef - 1 1/4 cups (sub any type stock)
- Pasta, gluten-free fusilli - 8 oz (sub any gluten-free pasta)
- Sour cream - 1/2 cup (sub plain or Greek yogurt)
- Broccolini - 16 oz, trimmed
- Red pepper flakes - 1/2 tsp
- Vinegar, balsamic - 2 tsp
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Lemon juice - 2 tsp
- Broccolini / Garlic - Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Sage - Thinly slice sage. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Beef - Slice beef into bite-sized cubes. Season with some salt and pepper and tenderize with a fork. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Heat oven to 425F / 218C.
- Heat a large saute pan with oil (portion for stroganoff) over medium-high heat.
- Add beef and saute until beef is browned on the outside, 3 to 4 minutes. Set beef aside (it will finish cooking in the sauce) and return pan to heat.
- Reduce heat to medium. Add butter and then sage. Saute sage in butter for 1 minute.
- Stir flour, paprika, and coriander into melted butter until no dry spots remain.
- Add garlic, wine, and stock to pan and bring to a simmer. Add beef back to pan. Reduce heat and cover. Simmer on low until beef is tender, ~30 minutes.
- While beef simmers, toss broccolini with red pepper flakes, balsamic vinegar, oil (portion for broccolini), and some salt and pepper. Spread out onto a sheet pan and roast for 15 to 20 minutes, shaking pan midway through.
- Bring a large stock pot with salted water to a boil. Add pasta and cook until al dente, tender but not soggy.
- Remove beef from heat and stir in sour cream. Season with some salt and pepper.
- When pasta is done, drain and rinse.
- When broccolini is done roasting, season with some salt and squeeze lemon juice over top.
- Spoon beef and sauce over pasta. Serve with broccolini on the side. Enjoy!
This was very good. I added some Dijon and Worcestershire in search of some depth. And mushrooms, of course.0 Helpful
Very good!! I used ground beef and added mushrooms and onions. with greek plain yogurt mixed in at the end. This meal was excellent, the fresh sage really made the flavor turn out perfectly!0 Helpful
Loved this! Very easy and tasty. Used Greek yogurt and the sauce turned out so creamy and delicious. The sage, coriander, and paprika combo was perfect.0 Helpful
It was ok. I don't like the sauce much but the ribeye saved it. Wouldn't make again.0 Helpful
Forgot to make lentils ahead of time, so i omitted them. Plus i got a little mixed up and sautéed the mushrooms, garlic, and fresh sage. Then i got even more mixed up and added flour mixture to all to all sautéed ingredients. Next added 3 cups organic vegetable broth. Being as I was already in a state of confusion i added sour cream into the sauce as well, accompied with 1 tsp Maggi liquid seasoning. Boom Shaka Lacka! dished it up and rocked everybody's socks! Note: the sage and coriander just disappeared into the marriage. I was expecting to taste one or the other, but it was so cleverly put together not one stood taller then the others. Thanks for such a great recipe!!! You ROCK!!!0 Helpful
Always love a nice stroganoff.0 Helpful