Beef Stroganoffwith egg noodles / roasted balsamic broccolini
We've had a few requests for a Cook Smarts version of this classic comfort food meal. You'll love the combination of rich, creamy sauce with chunks of beef served over noodles.
- Garlic - 2 cloves, chopped
- Sage - 4 leaves, thinly sliced
- Beef, any type of steak or stew meat - 1 lb, cubed
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Butter - 3 Tbsp
- Flour - 3 Tbsp
- Paprika - 1/2 tsp
- Coriander, ground - 1/2 tsp
- White wine - 1/2 cup (sub any type stock)
- Stock, beef - 1 1/4 cups (sub any type stock)
- Noodles, egg - 8 oz (sub any dried pasta)
- Sour cream - 1/2 cup (sub plain or Greek yogurt)
- Broccolini - 16 oz, trimmed
- Red pepper flakes - 1/2 tsp
- Vinegar, balsamic - 2 tsp
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Lemon juice - 2 tsp
- Broccolini / Garlic - Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Sage - Thinly slice sage. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Beef - Slice beef into bite-sized cubes. Season with some salt and pepper and tenderize with a fork. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Heat oven to 425F / 218C.
- Heat a large saute pan with oil (portion for stroganoff) over medium-high heat.
- Add beef and saute until beef is browned on the outside, 3 to 4 minutes. Set beef aside (it will finish cooking in the sauce) and return pan to heat.
- Reduce heat to medium. Add butter and then sage. Saute sage in butter for 1 minute.
- Stir flour, paprika, and coriander into melted butter until no dry spots remain.
- Add garlic, wine, and stock to pan and bring to a simmer. Add beef back to pan. Reduce heat and cover. Simmer on low until beef is tender, ~30 minutes.
- While beef simmers, toss broccolini with red pepper flakes, balsamic vinegar, oil (portion for broccolini), and some salt and pepper. Spread out onto a sheet pan and roast for 15 to 20 minutes, shaking pan midway through.
- Bring a large stock pot with salted water to a boil. Add noodles and cook until al dente, tender but not soggy.
- Remove beef from heat and stir in sour cream. Season with some salt and pepper.
- When noodles are done, drain and rinse.
- When broccolini is done roasting, season with some salt and squeeze lemon juice over top.
- Spoon beef and sauce over noodles. Serve with broccolini on the side. Enjoy!
This meal has 52 reviews
Forgot to make lentils ahead of time, so i omitted them. Plus i got a little mixed up and sautéed the mushrooms, garlic, and fresh sage. Then i got even more mixed up and added flour mixture to all to all sautéed ingredients. Next added 3 cups organic vegetable broth. Being as I was already in a state of confusion i added sour cream into the sauce as well, accompied with 1 tsp Maggi liquid seasoning. Boom Shaka Lacka! dished it up and rocked everybody's socks! Note: the sage and coriander just disappeared into the marriage. I was expecting to taste one or the other, but it was so cleverly put together not one stood taller then the others. Thanks for such a great recipe!!! You ROCK!!!
Always love a nice stroganoff.
It was pretty easy to make and had a nice flavor. The beef needed to cook a little longer (I used stew chunks) and I wish I had added mushrooms. The broccoli was yummy!
We really enjoyed this. I was out of sour cream and the sauce was a bit thin, but still delicious.
My kids favourite!
much better once i remembered to put in the sour cream.